Silver Falcon a little dull sounding

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by wilco, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My observation is that Gretsch HS Filtertrons are totally dependant on the amp to bring out the twang and sparkle. And they like a really bright amp. For example, you'll see a lot of love on these pages for the Fender Deluxe Reverb and I believe it is because the amp is naturally very bright and brings out the best in HS Filtertrons.

I do not think of HS Filters as being bright pickups but they can sound amazing through the right amps.

new6659, Stefan87 and wilco like this.
  2. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Don't forget to adjust the pole heights. Try having them follow the radius of the fretboard and then adjust to taste from there. I like HS Filtertrons a lot. I find them very bright for humbuckers but I do adjust the poles.

new6659, Stefan87 and wabash slim like this.
  3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Two things, the major point of TVJ pickups is consitancy in tone. I heard HS filters from early '90 brighter and latest '00 darker than average. There are some differences in construction too with different type of magnets. Thus, you could have a dark one.

Because, HS aren't specific to strings spacing my advise is to take ohms readings for both neck and bridge and if the difference is little reverse the pickups (swapping the covers is also possible if one is taller than the other).

After that, light strings can improve twang, higher ohms individual vol pot could give extra highs on bridge leg... some bridge are brighter (alu, copper) some are rounder (brass) etc..etc...

4. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    You will LOVE the TV Jones/ Ray Butts pickups on your Falcon! They came factory-installed on my LPB Falcon, and they are AMAZING! Lots of chime/sparkle, yet full-bodied and a little growl when you dig in. I have HS Filters on my 6120, and yes they are darker with a bit less “sizzle”.
    (I might put RB’s on the 6120, if I keep it).

5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I have a Panther and a Penguin both with HS Filters and they sound pretty bright, when using Gibson Brite Wires ... so I would recommend trying out these strings. They are similar to D'Addarrio XL, but with more overtones and a bit more overall brightness.

If it still sounds dull after the string change, I suspect the Axe FX setup to be suboptimal for this guitar.

BTW ... for those who don't know, what an Axe FX is ... it's a hardware based amp sim ;)

6. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Here’s a simple one to try.....Use a lighter pick..I find when I use .60 picks, my tone is brighter on all guitars. I like Dunlop 3 sided .60 picks on some guitars.
    Now my 5420 with TV Classics can be really bright, so I go up to a .73 Dunlop.. it does the trick.. it’s amazing how pick thickness impacts tone.

Aymara, new6659 and Berington like this.
  7. ErickT94

ErickT94 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Dude you need to school me on this. I’m hoping to buy either classics or setzers but I guess I’m lacking in ear training to hear a grand difference. I understand that the setzers have a higher output? While they still have super clean clarity? Not really looking for a muddy sound on my 5420

8. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Gorgeous guitar, no matter what's in it! Whew! Nice!!

G5422T likes this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks. It's been a real pleasure owning this one.

10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Good point! You've hit on a critical factor which, I think, many overlook. I generally have about a dozen picks of varying types spread out in front of me to try and catch the sound I'm looking for.

Joey L likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice