Silver Falcon a little dull sounding

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by wilco, Mar 18, 2020.

1. wilco

wilco Electromatic

Jan 24, 2016
    St. Paul, MN
    This one a relatively new acquisition for me. I am running it through an Axe FX III rig. I am surprised the guitar does have a bit more chime and bite. My K-Line Telecaster is significantly brighter, and it is not an overly bright guitar. I did check the pickup heights to ensure they are within the recommended specs.

Any ideas? Is this a characteristic of the high sensitive Filtertrons? I absolutely love the way the guitar plays. I can certainly dial in whatever brightness I need through the Axe FX. I am just surprised the base tone doesn't have a bit more shine.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Guitars I’ve had with high sensitives did seem a little darker. A great sound, just not as bright

G5422T and wilco like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, HS Filters are very good sounding, but a darker sound than TV Classics.

Just the nature of the beast.

4. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I've learned to do a simple thing (if you are fine with a soldering iron) before going down the pickup swap rabbit hole. I bypass the volume and tone circuits and run straight from the pickups to test the sound. Then I know what is the base sound of the pickups and can decide whether I should be considering changing the volume/tone circuit or the pickups themselves. Just bypassing the tone circuit will tell you most of what you need to know.

s360guitarist and rob batz like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Filtertrons are humbuckers. Your Tele has single coils. Nature of the beast.

6. wilco

wilco Electromatic

Jan 24, 2016
    St. Paul, MN
    :) Thanks. I am somewhat familiar with the differences between single coils and humbuckers. The Gretsch is just darker sounding than I expected. Even darker than my Collings all-mahogany 290 (humbucker in bridge).

7. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    HS filters had a cool greasy vibe, but were too dark for me in my players edition Falcon so I went with TV Jones Setzers which gave me the greater definition and clarity that I was looking for, and more twang out of the wound strings.

Compared to the regular TV Classic the Setzer bridge has a narrow to mid Q, mid forward frequency voicing that some don’t like, so beware, but in a busy recording or band mix it is magical, where you get a very punchy bridge tone that cuts through beautifully and sounds fantastic.
    But if you don’t need that, the Classic or Classic+, and especially the Ray Butts, would give you more brightness and clarity I think is safe to say.

ErickT94 and MotorCentaur like this.
  8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Play around with pickup height. I don't know if it will do what you want, but it does have the potential to impact your tone significantly.

wabash slim likes this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have HS filters in my 6119 and tv classics in my 6120SSL and to me the differences is very noticeable, the 6119 isn't nearly as bright as the 6120.
    Both good pickups though and I love the sound of both but IME hs filters aren't a very bright pick up, as others have said maybe try and play with the heights a bit to see if you can bring it a bit more to the sound you want.

G5422T likes this.
  10. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Pics of the falcon would b awsome

11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, I don't care what brand or style pup is on a guitar, make sure that they're set up to specs.

One may really like what they hearing!

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    In my 06 Country Club I went from stock HS to Classics and then to Setzer Sigs. The Classics were a big jump in clarity from the stock HS, but the bottom strings were kinda lce pick til I lowered pup a bit but then I lost some growl. The SS were kinda a great between, to dummie it down. SS Has the spank, growl and clarity of the Classics with the good mid rock punch maybe of a HS when cranked...ahh...ya..
    I'm looking forward to getting some Ray Butts for my BSHR..

ErickT94 and G5422T like this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Loving the RB's in my -58

20200107_154553.jpg

Berington likes this.
  14. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
  15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    A tele with single coils will definitely be brighter, but your Falcon should still be sparkling.
    I dunno what Axe FX is. Is that a computer thing?
    Have you tried it thru an amp? Filtertrons can be your best friend thru an amp.
    I know if I play any of my guitars thru my headphone amp or anything else they sound lame compared to an amp that moves a little air.
    Definitely not trying to be a smart alec, just curious.
    And yes, show us pics of your Falcon!

new6659 likes this.
  16. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Hmmmm, AX FXIII. Yes, What is it ?

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Like beauty and the beast?

upload_2020-3-19_1-5-25.png

Apologies for the diversion.

18. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Sorry to repeat myself, but I suggest bypassing your tone and volume circuit before you decide HS Filtertrons are "dull". People are very quick to suggest swapping pickups, but you'd be surprised how much difference changing out a volume pot, tone pot, or tone cap can make. Until you hear the pickup without the rest of the load the volume/tone circuit affecting it, you don't actually know. A pot going out of spec can make a pickup with bite and twang go dull and flat quite easily. I have a TV Classic in the neck position of my 6129T and an HS Filtertron in the neck position of my 6128T-DCM and they are very close in tone. The HS is a bit warmer and compressed, yes, but has no less bite and growl. It is definitely not "dull".
    One thing all filtertron-style pickups have vs Tele-type single coils is a more full-range response. If you're used to filtertrons, you know to roll off bass early in your chain if you use any kind of dirt, especially with a hollowbody.

wabash slim and wilco like this.
  19. wilco

wilco Electromatic

Jan 24, 2016
    St. Paul, MN
    Useful tip. Will try.

20. Never played through the fractal. I have heard one that sounded spectacular. I also heard a guy that played spectacular, on a falcon, through some sort of floor board into a powered speaker. He could have been playing anything, as it did not sound falconish, or even like a gretsch. I have guitars that i usually play through a certain setup. If i plug them into another amp or system, they don’t sound the same. So now when i get a guitar that plugged in doesnt sound great, before selling, i wait ti try a different amp and eventually i find the one that shines. To me, my gretsch through a fender tube amp with the brain sounds like a gretsch should. I can get close to it with a peavy delta blues i have. Same guitar through other amps, including a twin, doesnt have that sparkle touch.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice