Sickness in " The D-R " , hitting close to home

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jul 9, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm sure we've all heard about the people passing away while vacationing in the Dominican Republic ( aka "The D-R " )
    A 24 year old co-worker of mine returned back to work from The DR yesterday ( Monday ) after a week there . Jokingly I said " hey , you survived " . Chris said to me , " no not really . One day I had a really bad fever and my muscles ached " .... Chris texted me this morning ( Tuesday , about 3:30 am ) , said he won't be at work today , he's on his way to the Emergency Room ......
    Side note : You've heard of the measles outbreak that's been going on ? Started just a few miles away from where I live . ( Rockland County , N.Y. )
    Please take care of yourselves folks and be carefull

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    6 : 25 am
    Chris just texed me ... running blood work , cardio enzymes too high meaning his heart is working too fast . Symptoms of a heart attack . May be an infection that effects the heart valve .
    Prayers for Chris ... I'm scared folks , gosh damn it he's only 24

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I’m so sorry to hear that, Rich. Best hopes for a full recovery.

thunder58 likes this.
  4. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    praying for your friend's speedy recovery.

MTurner and thunder58 like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    What sickness are we talking about Rich?
    Aching body and fever sounds like the bout of Dengue I had, but this sounds more serious than that.

6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Prayers for Chris and his family

MTurner and thunder58 like this.
  7. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Wishing him the best Rich. I heard a follow up story on that and tainted alcohol is being investigated as a possible cause. Whatever it is has taken a number of young people.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Oh boy ! I hope everything is ok with ur friend!!

9. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I also will pray for Chris, Rich. Please keep us posted.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    At this time he's texted me that His cardio enzymes are high meaning the heart is working too fast . All symptoms of a heart attack , but may have infections in heart valve

11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Prayers said for Chris.

Whatever it is that's going on in the D.R., it's a very serious concern. So far, we're hearing about those that vacationed and came down with it. My concern is also for the islanders if this thing is becomes contagious.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Prayers for Chris.

thunder58 likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There were incidents of folks being poisoned by bad alcohol recently in Mexico. 3rd world countries DO NOT adhere to our health, food and drug and medical standards, nor our laws. You've got to be aware of your surroundings. There are unscrupulous people everywhere. Tourists get poisoned, robbed, disappeared (trafficking), and even killed on a regular basis. My cousin was bludgeoned to death in his sleeping bag while in Greece years ago when he was hiking around in Europe. People absolutely DO NOT care. You're just an easy target.

thunder58 and ZackyDog like this.
  14. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Geez that's not good. Heart valve infections can lead to big issues. Hope he does well. It may have nothing to do with the DR it sounds like. BTW, you can get a heart valve infection from having your teeth cleaned. Bacteria from the cleaning get in the blood from the gums and evidently it's a quick path to the heart from your mouth.

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    A good reminder; sorry about your cousin. RIP. There's a lot of evil in the world.

@thunder58 /Rich : I hope Chris recovers.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thank you everyone for your concerns and prayers . It's my understanding he's going for an MRI today along with some meds . I'll call him later this evening

T Bone, MTurner and ZackyDog like this.
  17. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Being a retired dentist, I have to alleviate people's fears, swivel. Your statement is certainly correct to the degree that, yes you can get an infection in your heart valve but only if you have a pre-existing damaged valve as in rheumatic fever, congenital valve defect, etc. In these cases, the patients will receive preventative antibiotics before cleaning. Sorry but people are afraid enough of going to the dentist . I just wanted to provide some reassurance. Didn't mean to highjack this very serious thread.
    Sure hope Chris beats this, Rich. Prayers from here.

18. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah. My sister's heart valve damage from it eventually killed her last fall. (Two heart valve replacements and a few years later.) There was no known defect prior, but they seemed inclined that the odds were the cleaning. Maybe it was a coincidence of developing a valve problem about the same time as the dental work.... how would one know? I still have mine cleaned normally. But one wonders if the industry should do anti bio's for everyone. I don't know, seems there are likely many risks out there I suppose. You can probably get the problem from grungy bleeding gums not cleaned too...?

thunder58 likes this.
  19. afire

afire Country Gent

With concerns about antibiotic resistant bacteria on the rise, I can't see that happening. My healthcare network has become extremely stingy with antibiotics. You show up with raging gangrene, and maybe they'll give you a penicillin or two. I agree with the policy in theory, but sometimes I've got the sniffles and I'd like them to at least try antibiotics.

But speaking of cures, recent events have cured me of any desire to travel to a third world destination. I've done it a couple times and enjoyed myself, but I'm out. I'll stick to Europe. Or maybe Japan.

thunder58 and Gregor like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I work with a man from the DR he tells me when he goes down tourists are all drinking, to excess and many just can't handle that and the warm weather and wind up sick or dead. I am sure some of it is that but I really wonder what else may be going on.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice