Show your Princeton Reverb here!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Uncle Daddy, Jun 28, 2019.

I long and yearn for a PRRI! Someday.

Pdnlegs likes this.
  1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Another group shot, this time with a Gretsch

B6A3174F-7698-447E-82C7-AC767BAF4576.jpeg

Ricochet likes this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Maybe you could make me a couple at the same time? Happy to pay for time and materials. TAD want E30 to post to the UK!

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My cab guy, Derrick Bell, makes and sells them for $20 CDN. I have a bunch in different sizes.

4. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    9ECE7559-F8DA-43EE-B808-AE74E8717733.jpeg
    Here‘s mine, limited brownface-style edition (Fawn tolex, Vintage Barrel knobs,
    Small Weave Cane Grill Cloth, 12“ Celestion Greenback G12M).

Do I like it? I‘m unsure.
    The tone in general is a typical Fender vintage tone, no question. Very nice wooden and twangy basses, on the other hand a bit sterile and acute highs. The tremolo sounds really fantastic, the Reverb isn‘t bad.

That‘s my first impression. All in all nice but not „breathtaking“, maybe tomorrow I like it more ;)

Dunno if the Celestion is best choice for this amp, maybe it needs more break in. Tomorrow I‘ll swap the stock 12ax7 for a correct 7025, curious what that tube will do.

nasonm and Ricochet like this.
  5. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You know you can swap V2 to give a broader sweep on the reverb? There's a little less Dick Dale at the top end, but a finer control of the region on the dial that's most useful, around 2-4. A 12AU7 instead of the 12AT7 gives less reverb gain.

I'm not sure about the Greenback; mine has a C12Q, good enough for the HW Deluxe Reverb. Nice scooped mids, tight low end. I can improve the mid hump if needed by reducing T&B, and increasing the amp volume. The opposite gives more mid scoop. Very versatile.

6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Ah, too bad, I‘ve ordered a new 12AT7 since there is a pulsing tone from the tremolo (if Reverb&Tremolo is on) if you‘re not playing. Do you think I can also use a 12DW7 instead of the 12AT7 to „tame“ the reverb a bit?

7. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This might be a little premature, because I haven't seen it yet, and I don't know what she's asking for it, but if I like it and we can come to terms, this will be mine one day soon. It's part of a cache of vintage guitar gear left behind by a deceased friend of a friend. Said friend is helping the widow liquidate the stuff and this one (looks to be a real '68) inspires me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    ishtar, Freshy, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    When I tried a new PRRI in the shop, I found the trem to be quite noisy with quite bit of floor noise from the amp itself. Could have been a bad V1 but I got the impression that's how they're made.
    My clone on the other hand, is very quiet with a tiny pulse from the trem and no tickover noise, just a bit of regular valve hiss at higher volume.

9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The Tremolo is superb and noise free if it’s used without the Reverb. It honestly sounds better than the Tremolo in my Swart. I guess it‘s a problem with a bad 12AT7. Again, do you know if I can use the exotic 12DW7 instead for the Reverb (got a leftover)?
    After a while I like the sound of the PRRI more and more, those twangy basses are fantastic and exactly what I‘m after.
    I guess an Alnico Gold would be perfect, but I‘ll see.

Unfortunately I‘ve got a weird „buzz“ from the high f-note, only if it‘s played on the G-or D-string :rolleyes:. Strange, I guess that’s a prob with the baffle (and a typical flaw of the reissues from what I‘ve read)...

10. Valdez

Valdez Gretschie

Mar 16, 2011
    Germany
  11. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Electromatic

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt

I find the PRRi 65 really wakes up after 6/7.

I know this sounds wacky, but try input 2 and 8/8/8 setting and ride the guitar volume with a focus on picking dynamics... it's glorious. (if you just punk rock chug it won't sound very good)

12. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    It's a '70 PR bought as a basket case.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    ishtar, Ricochet and Groutsch like this.
  13. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    As far as I can tell, it's not suitable for V2 without rewiring the socket, though I understand there is a reversed version available.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ampworkshop/12dw7-with-reversed-sections-may-be-available-t2812.html

Stefan likes this.
  14. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Stefan said, "After a while I like the sound of the PRRI more and more, those twangy basses are fantastic and exactly what I‘m after.
    I guess an Alnico Gold would be perfect, but I‘ll see."

I have the same amp Stefan and read quite a bit about Princetons before I bought it. Several owners of the traditional 10" Princetons said that a 10" celestion gold was absolutely the perfect match for the amp. I thought briefly about a 12" one for my LE until I saw the price (the golds are not made in Asia). I'm living with a Jensen P12Q for now, may end up putting the GA SC64 back in, it's a good match as well.

Stefan likes this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks, totally forgot the Eminence. Very nice speaker and a good match for sure. Beautiful highs from the Allessandro-collab!

16. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    There is a place in my heart for a Princeton Reverb

FE38D1A2-B28F-45D0-9427-9BB8CED0B949.jpeg

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks like the naughty corner!

18. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    [​IMG]

Here's mine. I used to have two PRRIs (one in two tone and one in black), I wanted to sell one so I opted to keep the more unique one of the two.

19. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Love that color combo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice