Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Show us your pedalboard

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by emicad, Mar 9, 2016.

1. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    DHL delivery is late. I shouldn't worry but I'm starting to imagine the worst......:eek:

DHL plane nose down.jpg DHL nose down.jpg DHL truck jammed.jpg underwater DHL truck.jpg dhl truck in swimming pool.jpg

Srellim1, thunder58, emicad and 2 others like this.
  2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    No need to worry, DHL delivery arrived!
    PB#4: a bit more progress, waiting on a few cables now.

PB4 progress 2 005.JPG

Srellim1, thunder58 and Bertotti like this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Working on a new biggish bass/Bass VI/etc. board for a biamp setup w/ a few fun noisemaking toys on it.
    The mockup:
    [​IMG]

Thinking it'll route like this:
    bass > Polytune > Empress Compressor > Ditto > Little Black Buffer (mounted under the board) > A/B box >

into the drive pedals:
    A) Bellows > Monarch >
    B) Ampeg Classic Preamp > MF Boost >

then into either side of the Little Lehle:
    A > Tip loop [Data Corrupter > Randy's Revenge (I'm thinking it will be dialed for ring mod most of the time] > OB1-500
    B > Ring loop [Julia > El Capistan] > PF50T/PF500

I'll be waiting for the compressor and Bellows to show up before I have it completed as pictured, but so far the other stuff is sounding pretty cool together.

4. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This is a bad photo, but I have updated one of the boards in a major way. I’ve just received (today) a Death By Audio Echo Dream 2. This has (gulp) unseated the El Capistan. My boards are very different from one another but both are built around a Mystery Brain and a Ubangi Stomp. The Echo Dream is not entirely analog but sounds incredibly warm and responds as though it were. It sounds phenomenal actually. It also has an amazing modulation side as well as a gorgeous fuzz circuit which goes from slight boost to gigantic. It plays very nicely with the Atomic side of the MB. Now I just need to wait out the honeymoon phase then decide if I will keep the El Cap to have it as an option (it’s a classic) or (gulp again) sell it.
    @TV the Wired Turtle - it’s not a tape echo sim, but something tells me you might like this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I ran into a Studio Comp and a True-Path barely used for a song last night while I was picking up stuff to make cables and the Bellows came in this morning so I went ahead and finished wiring up the first incarnation of the biamp bass board:
    [​IMG]
    Routing is:
    bass > PolyTune 2 Noir > M76 Studio Compressor > Ditto > True-Path ABY >
    A) Bellows > Monarch > Little Lehle tip loop {Data Corrupter > Randy's Revenge} > OB1-500
    B) Classic Bass Preamp > MF Boost > Little Lehle ring loop {Julia > ARP-87} > PF-50T

I haven't had enough time screwing around w/ it to have a solid appraisal, but here are some initial impressions:
    The Studio Compressor seems to work very well and the series compression isn't bothering me as much as it has previous times I've tried it. On 4:1 dialed for ~ 7db it's very useful and natural sounding to me, if a bit clinical. The attack and release controls feel very easy to use w/ an effective range. It does kind of remind me of the 1176s I've used in its design and feel overall. While it's not dead silent, it hasn't struck me as particularly noisy until I've dialed the makeup gain way higher than I think would ever be practical for me. The LED metering is a pretty nice and very useful feature.

Both drive sections seem to work really well, by themselves or together so far. I'm not quite there yet but it's sounding great regardless. The Bellows seems like a great bass fuzz so far, seems like a sure keeper for me. I definitely need to spend more time twisting the knobs, but I'm thinking it may be a bit fat and loose for what I want on the OB1. At some point I'm gonna try the BB Preamp in place of either the Bellows or the Monarch and see if a bit more hard edge/grind-y boost/drive is the ticket.

I'm really loving the Ampeg drive loop, it works out great dialing the PF50T for saturated clean, the Classic Preamp to push it to edge of breakup w/ a bit more mids and w/ the expression pedal hooked up and the boost switch on, the MF Boost is working out awesomely pushing the PF50T into a fat mild to edge of meltdown OD. The DVP4/Expressionator setup feels very smooth, precise, and natural for dialing its gain. It boosts output significantly in the process and it gets a little noisy about the last 15% or so of the gain range, but up to there it delivers a very fat and tasty grind. I may try swapping order on the preamp and MF Boost at some point too for more consistent output levels across the boost's gain range and better tone shaping.

Unfortunately I'm hitting some sort of a feedback loop issue w/ the Little Lehle that I've yet to be able to diagnose. I've got a pretty annoying level of constant low frequency feedback through the disengaged amp when going "A or B". I've used the Little Lehle in this type of biamp setup before w/o having this problem, next step is trying one of the other ABYs I spose. Would be a bummer to lose the invidually switchable buffers on the True-Path though and it seems like it's built like a tank and doing its job really well otherwise.

The Julia and the ARP-87 seem like a winning combination for PF-50T. I'll probably continue to shuffle some stuff around on the OB1's loop.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Is that Memphis about the same size as a Boss pedal? Im about to start stickin things down and wanna leave plenty room.

7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    From Keeley Website:
    Dimensions:
    ALL DIMENSIONS TAKEN FROM FACE FORWARD

Width (Not Counting Jacks) – 2.35″
    Height (Not Counting Jacks) – 4.41″

wildeman likes this.
  8. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Electromatic

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    thunder58, BorderRadio and audept like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  10. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Electromatic

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Never had any issues with my Dano pedals. Pots are scratchy and/or crooked (cheap plastic shafts)... but otherwise, sonically solid since the early-mid 2000s to present.

wildeman likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  12. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Better than Bag of Dicks?

Jet_streamliner likes this.
  13. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Damn, PB4 has been modified and put on hold until a new pedal arrives. Hadn't even started wiring it up yet!

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, I discovered in a local DIY supermarket a set of cases smaller than the one I already use :

[​IMG]

This will allow me to built another pédalborde, a bit more compact than the previous one. Unfortunately, the smallest case isn't deep inside enough to accept any pedal height, otherwise this format would have been interesting...

A+!

thunder58 and audept like this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Speaking of cases and reasonable priced .......... www.sra-cases.com
    I just ordered and received in a timely manner ( 4 days ) a new pre-cut foam insert for a case I had for camera equipment . I am now using the case for my harmonica storage . About $17 for the new pre-cut foam / shipped . Just thought I'd pass along .... now back to the pedal boards

Attached Files:

audept likes this.
  16. Hydroman

Hydroman Electromatic

Feb 29, 2016
    Funtucky, Ca.
    [​IMG]Heres mine,made it from an old suitcase.
    [​IMG]

ponca, Serenity, emicad and 4 others like this.
  17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Threw this one together last night to screw around w/ the Mystery Brain:
    [​IMG]
    guitar > Fatboost > Xenogama [loop 1{Mystery Brain} > loop 2 { Vintage Rat > Modele B } > loop 3 { Carbon Copy > Monument > Boing } ] > Buffered Splitter > amp(s)

I'll be reshuffling this one a bit still (the FatBoost feels pretty redundant, I may replace the Carbon Copy and/or Boing w/ something else fun, and potentially replace the ISO5 w/ an Ojai or DC5 and downsizing the board a step) but damn this is sounding pretty great so far :D I'm particularly loving the Brain > Rat > Modele B, seems to be a really flexible combination of drive pedals.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    thunder58, audept and CatTones like this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Sorry if it's bad form posting stuff about what I'm planning to do here rather than what I already have. I wanted to just add this to my last post but the edit button seems to be MIA... Lemme know if it's bugging anyone and I'll cease and desist ;)

Last night I corrected my mistake of removing the Ubangi Stomp from my cart before checking out on the pre-order of the Mystery Brain and I've got one on the way to take the place of the Vintage Rat on the above board for maximum Nocturne-y goodness. And since I spend at least 75% of my playing time staring at my pedalboard and the orange metallic of the Monument, the lime green metallic of the Mystery Brain, and the aquarium metallic of the Ubangi was giving me a headache looking at mockups, I've also got a Chase Bliss Gravitas and Faves on the way so that my eyes aren't bleeding whenever I play this board :D I also grabbed another Ojai so I can fit it all on here and power it more cleanly.

Here's the mockup of the setup I'm planning to go w/ on the now officially named "Filtertron board" once the Ubangi and Gravitas show up:
    [​IMG]
    guitar > Polytune 2 Noir > Xenogama Tail Loop [ loop 1 { Mystery Brain } > loop 2 { Ubangi Stomp > Modele B } > loop 3 { Gravitas > Meet Maude (w/ Supermoon in the FX loop) > Boing }] > Buffered Splitter > amp(s)

I'm super excited to check out the Ubangi. Based on the great demos, Tavo's descriptions of what he's doing w/ the circuit and how much I'm loving the Brain into my Vintage Rat I think it's going to be about the best possible drive chain for me w/ the Filtertron guitars.

The Gravitas seems like it will sound pretty amazing and seems like the most flexible and novel combination of features I've seen for a tremolo. Judging from the demos and knowing my love of trem I think it's got the potential to give me just as many hours of tone tweaking bliss as the BigSky or Timeline. It seems like a pretty damn complex pedal, but the control array and layout seem like they could feel pretty natural to me for sonic exploration based on the demos. Adding the Faves switch seems like it should hopefully make it pretty easy to use more than a couple of sounds on it for me too in actual performance settings.

The Meet Maude w/ the Supermoon in its FX loop is one of my favorite pairings for noir-y, spacey, ambient washes and I think should provide a great "out there" option for the board as well as being able to cover more straight forward old school bucket brigade delays when dialed back and killing the Supermoon.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    emicad and audept like this.
  19. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Do report on the gravitas. Looks like fun.

20. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Most certainly! I'm thinking that one will definitely get an NPD thread of its very own :D

Henry likes this.