Should it be doing this?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by drmdzh, Oct 11, 2018.

1. drmdzh

drmdzh Electromatic

Oct 11, 2018
    New York
    Hey all, just picked up a Jet Double Cutaway (G5445T) - love the sound, love playing it BUT something might be wrong with the wiring?

When I turn the volume all the way down on the neck pickup, and the volume is all the way up on the bridge, and toggle to the neck (I do this a lot on my other guitar) - I still get quite a bit of sound coming through. So the volume pot is not going to zero. Same goes the other way around, toggle to bridge with volume down, still get a fair amount of signal.

Is this a "Gretsch thing" - because it has the overall volume control? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks!

2. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    My 5438T doesn't do that. With the neck volume all the way down, and the switch set to the neck pickup, there's no output.

drmdzh likes this.
  3. drmdzh

drmdzh Electromatic

Oct 11, 2018
    New York
    Thanks... that's what I thought.

4. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Something is wrong with the wiring. One of my Ibanez Icemans.... icemen?... is doing that and I haven't figured out why.

6. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    This is what I wrote and then deleted, because I didn’t think it had a lot of useful information for the OP, but may have relevence for someone else...

I had a bass with a similar symptom a couple of months ago. It was a ground issue.

The ground side of one of the pots was not grounded. What was odd was that the problem was internal to the pot, the one pin was not connected to the wafer.

I couldn’t think of exactly how that would work for the OP’s guitar, but I imagine it is a ground issue, maybe at the main grounding point.

7. drmdzh

drmdzh Electromatic

Oct 11, 2018
    New York
    Thank all, I appreciate the responses. I could probably fix this myself - I've re-wired a few guitars before - but as I just got it, I'm going to take it back and hopefully the store will do it for me.

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, drmdzh!
    welcome mat 86.jpg

9. drmdzh

drmdzh Electromatic

Oct 11, 2018
    New York
    So I took the guitar back to Guitar Center and the tech there said that he had contacted Gretsch and they told him that this was normal for the guitar.... I DON'T BELIEVE HIM.

10. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Welcome drmdzh,
    that is definitely not normal, and Gretsch most likely wouldn't say it is. Try contacting Gretsch, as far as I've seen on this forum, they should be willing to help.

11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Not normal. They are lying.

Take it back again and ask to speak to the manager. Show him this thread if he tries to give you the runaround. If they STILL won’t work with you to make it right, return it and get your $ back and go buy it somewhere else.

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This is complete rubbish and one of the reasons why GC gets a bad name for service. Report them and the issue with your guitar directly to Gretsch.

13. drmdzh

drmdzh Electromatic

Oct 11, 2018
    New York
    well, this sucks, this is the response I got directly from Gretsch...
    "master volume will turn it off completely if he has master up and has both pickups individually down he will get some bleed through because they are independent volumes. 50s gibson style wiring has the same effect"

14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    "some bleed through because they are independent volumes"? What does that even mean? I think you're getting BS from both sides. If you generally like the guitar and don't want to deal with stores and returns and trying different ones, wire it yourself. There's no reason this has to be the case.

drmdzh likes this.
  15. drmdzh

drmdzh Electromatic

Oct 11, 2018
    New York
    I took a look at the wiring before I took it back to GC and could not find anything wrong with it... all looked solid. Not sure how to trouble-shoot it (I know enough to wire something, but not enough to find the problem if it's not obvious).

I could take it to a really good tech I know, but them I'm paying to repair something I just bought. It's just really pissing me off that Gretsch is not taking responsibility.

Is there anyone from Gretsch in these forums?

16. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    But how is it a problem exactly? I've always found weird that a volume would mute the other on Gibsons.

17. drmdzh

drmdzh Electromatic

Oct 11, 2018
    New York
    I think maybe you misunderstand... when I turn the volume all the way down on the bridge pickup, I still get some sound. If I turn it all the way down on the neck, I still get some sound. ONLY when I turn it down on both, or use the master volume, do I get no sound.

So I can't use the toggle switch to "mute" the guitar, which I do on my gibson all the time, either for effect, or between songs.

mschafft likes this.
  18. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I see. Flipping the toggle switch is faster than turning the master volume all the way down. I don't use the switch as a mute button personally. Thanks for the explanation.