Should I keep the 5230T Jet?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by yoshiii, Jan 29, 2020.

1. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    Hello

I bought the Electromatic 5230T Jet guitar. Its nice and the blacktops are not bad. But I might upgrade the pots and put TV Jones pickups in them. Ive had it not long but only have taken it out of the box about three times.

Or I could sell the Jet and buy a MIJ Jet with my CC.

I want to buy a Les Paul and a MIJ Chet Atkins or 5120. So should I keep the MIC Jet and just get one of the other guitars?

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    No help here. What will you be happy with? Figure that out and your question is answered.

new6659 and Kitvin713 like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Return the jet and don't buy anything until you really know what you want.

LongJohn, National19 and larryb like this.
  4. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    I know what I want, a Jet . Question is, upgrade the G5230T I have now and buy a Les Paul. Or sell the G5230T and get a MIJ Pro Jet and buy the Les Paul Later. I want the other ones but maybe Les Paul first if I keep the G5230T Jet.

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Do you have ability to try an MIJ jet, or.do you know what you are interested in for an MIJ jet? The players editions are quite different from the vintage select.

6. yoshiii

yoshiii Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Ohio
    Today I played a 2002 Duo Jet with the same control layout as my G5230T. I played a G5232, the double cut version of my guitar.

The pickups on the Duo Jet were full, clearer, chimey. Even when distored. The G5232T was bright, hot kind of, sort of treblely, not chimey, not full sounding. Sounded alittle like the pickups in the Duo Jet but very different.
    The master volume also work better on the Duo jet as well as the tone and pickup volume controls.
    I adjusted the eq controls on the amp also.
    The G5232 Blacktop Filtertrons werent bad but not the sound I want.

If I keep the G5230T I am upgrading the pickups.

Henry likes this.
  7. makalshrek

makalshrek Electromatic

Jan 24, 2020
    Philippines
    I'm actually contemplating on selling my G5230t and get G5220 instead. That way I can order a Towner B3 and install it instead. The B50 bigsby is giving me a lot of headache on the 5230.

section2 and Henry like this.
  8. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Keep the 5230, save$$$$ for a lil while longer, buy the MIJ and add to your collection. :cool:

thunder58 and dmunson like this.
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I guess what I mean by knowing what you want comes down to what Jet do you really want? An upgraded Chinese Electromatic or a Japanese Proline. They are both good guitars, I have both. Yes, one is better but you have to decide if the additional $ is worth it to you plus holding off getting the other guitars.

Mine

C1074504-4E28-4722-A86B-EEF3FE1A8BC3.jpeg 3B3914E3-A640-4C6E-B1E7-DBC20DFC1321.jpeg

section2, larryb and new6659 like this.
  10. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Electromatic

Feb 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Tried a 5230t at a GC here in St. Louis this weekend. I feel the same as you. It was "not bad". Really would like a 6128t Duo Jet but alas, that is way more than I can justify I think. There was literally nothing wrong with the Electromatic Jet. QC was great. I saw no flaws on it anywhere, i.e. frets, neck, pots, etc. It was just meh. I am chalking it up to dead strings and an amp not in its sweet spot?

11. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Go with the made in Japan in my opinion

12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I love my G5232T, same one as @radd . Just started the process of upgrades. Converting to all gold hardware and putting in HSFT from my Falcon. Still keeping the B50 but in gold while removing the tension bar and drilling it into a string thru. Should help with the tuning issues since I'm putting a Zer0Glide Fret on it. Whoop whoop

I wanted a double jet and the prolines don't offer nothing that got me hot n bothered.

13. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    As far as comparing the 5230 (with BT FilterTrons) to a Les Paul, the Jet is a much more versatile guitar. Both guitars have their purpose, depending on the type of music you play, but inless you get a P90 loaded LP, your tonal versatility will possibly be limited. Just my personal opinion.

new6659 likes this.
  14. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    If you already want a Duo Jet or other Proline, your Pro Jet won‘t really satisfy you, though upgrading it with TV Jones and better electronics will get you close.

But do your homework as there are many different Duo Jets. My personal favourite is a double cut with HS Filtertrons and a short neck joint (most have a long neck joint as a single cut!) ... mahogany body and maple neck would also be a bonus ... that‘s why I bought my Broadway Jade Penguin ;)

And one last hint: I was a pure Les Paul player for decades, until I got my Gretsch Panther (my first Gretsch). Now my LPs collect dust ;) ... though my Gibson LP Signature T is more versatile, than any other LP I played. But a Proline with Filtertrons is even more versatile, especially the clean tone is much more appealing.

So I would try out further Prolines before you buy a LP and regret it later.

new6659 likes this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Keep your guitar , buy the above 3 and start an awesome collection ;)

Charlie westside likes this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    If it’s financially viable... Buy the Pro line MIJ.
    You won’t be disappointed...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice