Should I get a Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Groutsch, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hey- I had a tech do it. Honestly, I’m not certain where the bias has been set. I suppose that this could be a contributing factor.

2. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    It’s hard to say without knowing what the bias is set at. I bought a Bias Rite from Weber and checking and adjusting the bias this way is pretty easy and safe. It also gives you plate voltage as well, all without pulling the chassis.

Srellim1 likes this.
  3. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    It could be a matter of the right 12AX7 for V1, V2.

I'm not sure how closely the SRRI follows the old schematic. It looks pretty close? Innocuous looking stuff like component placement seems to have an effect on the sound.

A theory, aging transformers and resistors, until they are too noisy, add some background warmth [white noise] that we like. The babbling brook, or waterfall.

Srellim1 likes this.
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Rethinking ....
    Should I get a Super Reverb?
    I think the answer is always YES

rob batz, Groutsch, Srellim1 and 2 others like this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    How big is your living room... ?

Groutsch likes this.
  6. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This may be. I have RCA 7025s in the Deluxe Reverb and it made a huge difference.

7. salvatore

salvatore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    I’ve been playing my ‘74 for going on 20 years. Yes, I’ve kept it with me through the vicissitudes of this hefty block of time.
    It is extraordinary in the quality of the reverb, vibrato, headroom, single coil sparkle, and the EQ. It is special with its 4x10 combo design.
    For me, what I think is an overlooked feature is the volume capacity for playing without using a pick; the dynamics are touch- sensitive using the fat on your fingertips, and you don’t have to overplay to try and compensate for a lack dynamics, due to inadequate power.

Volume swells are dramatic, pedal-steel like.

And, when you want to rock, turn it up to 7 , right up to the beginning of the edge of crunch. It’s the real deal. No pedal can touch this tone.

My ‘74 is a singular combo amp that has a lot on tap. When I really wanted one, I’m glad I got one.

new6659 and Groutsch like this.
  8. Boppin_the_Blues

Boppin_the_Blues Electromatic

Mar 22, 2015
    Finland
    I think in Reissue Super default PI tube (V6) is 12AX7, not 12AT7 like vintage models.

9. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's a fabulous amp! If you use it for playing shows, I'd say GO for it. If not, probably something smaller would be more practical - unless you just covet the looks and sound and love the sound even at lower volumes. For show use, I usually use a Vox AC-30 & occasionally a (real) '65 Fender Twin, but they stay parked at home. For rehearsal, personal practice or sometimes recording it's usually a little Vibro-Champ or small Vox practice amp with controllable master volume.

rob batz and Groutsch like this.
  10. Tom_L

Tom_L Electromatic

Apr 29, 2020
    NE Florida
    I bought an SRRI back almost 15 years ago. Like everyone above has said, they're loud. Not really for home use above 3. 5 becomes LOUD in a 1600 sqft house. I'm one who can't leave things well enough along.... over the years I've replaced all the tubes with old glass. Replaced the OT with one from Mercury Magnetics (because I could, not because I had to), replaced the stiff new Jensen's with old, well used CTS' and Oxfords, 2 of each. It really is a wonderful sounding amp. In my mid 50s and with lots of achy body parts, lugging it around is a chore. Had wheels on it for a bit, but now it just sits in the room where I play.

If you can work on your own amps comfortably and safely, a non-master volume silver face with the original speakers would be the ticket. I've seen them for a few hundred less than I paid for my SRRI and that makes them much more affordable than vintage Vibroluxes and Deluxe reverbs. They just weren't readily available when I was looking.

Blackface pro reverbs used to be just as affordable but in recent years people seem to have discovered how great they sound and their prices have gone up significantly.

For portability, I'd suggest a Deluxe reverb reissue or if it fits the budget, or a silver face Deluxe Reverb. You can always grab an external cab later down the road and plug into it if you want to feel the 4 tens, or 4 twelves, or whatever.

Groutsch likes this.
  11. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    To me, this is the answer.

Groutsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice