Should I get a Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Groutsch, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I just don’t understand why it would be worthwhile to do all of this. Plug into a small amp working at 10% capacity and it sounds great, no effects needed. Plug into a medium to large amp operating at less than 1% capacity and you have to use all sorts of effects to get an imitation of a good sound. I’ve run the gamut, from 5 watts to over 300 and found that the truly big amps are perfect for outdoor venues but that even a 5 watt amp sounds great in smaller venues. I played the Fair using a 5 watt Winfield Typhoon in front of a microphone and it sounded big as a Showman. Then I took the same amp home and it sounded perfect in my living room, just by itself. If you want more heft, by a big cabinet and plug into that.

Waxhead, Scott and Groutsch like this.
  2. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    My experience: the 8” of my Champ doesn’t sound good like my Hiwatt on a 12” speaker cabinet with a Champ Lovepedal. Very similar tone, different air.
    Of course, if we’re talking about an amp in a room. If we’re talking about a small amp with a good microphone in front of it, I agree that my Champ sounds as good and full as an half stack.
    Obviously, amps like Super Reverb sounds completely different when cranked, but that doesn’t mean that they sound bad at 2. They just sound different.

Fasteddie42 and Groutsch like this.
  3. Boppin_the_Blues

Boppin_the_Blues Electromatic

Mar 22, 2015
    Finland
    I've got '73 and '64 Supers. 64 has a master volume (PPIMV) in a Ext speaker jack, works great.
    [​IMG]

6124Bassman, J Bird, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  4. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    nice amps !!! Def Relate to that !!
    3Fenders (2).jpg

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  6. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I think that this thread should be linked to the Bedroom level thread :)... What volume you think it would be allowed on your living room? Enough to not wake up your 6 months kid or your children in bed? Enough to not piss off your wife watching the TV? Enough to not allow your neighbor to listen you play? Enough to avoid the neighborhood calling the cops?:)
    On the first two cases is a no, on the third is pushing, on the forth you’ll greatly enjoy the Super ;)

Groutsch likes this.
  7. Boppin_the_Blues

Mar 22, 2015
    Finland
    Great! Looks like a 1972 Pro Reverb, 1977 Super and 1967 Super??

8. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Hey close,,good job..
    73 Pro
    74 Super(MV removed from circuit)
    Super RI(very impressed-no hesitation on any of the RI have experienced)

9. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Listen to Synchro. He's got the right answer. All I would add is... if a Super is what you WANT (because it's been burned in your brain for 20 years), you won't be happy until you have one... but in your situation, you'd have to add an attenuator of some kind, and the good ones (like the Ox) cost almost as much as the amp does.... (I have owned most of the "1st generation" attenuators... Hotplate, Weber, etc.... and they are just OK.)

Groutsch likes this.
  10. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Consider a Vibrolux. 40 watts into 2x10 speakers. Half the weight and tone to spare. And if you end up playing out, it can get extremely loud.

Groutsch likes this.
  11. Boppin_the_Blues

Mar 22, 2015
    Finland
    Like Pete Thorn said: "It ain't that loud actually" This is my favourite Super Reverb video by Pete Thorn. Sounds so beautiful:

Groutsch likes this.
  12. Boppin_the_Blues

Mar 22, 2015
    Finland
    Also, if your Super has original low efficiency speakers, like CTS alnicos in my 1973 Super, it really ain't that loud.

Groutsch likes this.
  13. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Exactly. The problem with the Super Reverb is that the 4 speakers move a lot of air, so it feels louder than it actually is. If you use the same volume on a Vibrolux, the 2x10 sounds a lot less louder than the Super.
    I remember that when I bought my Hiwatt head I asked the guy who sold it to me if an attenuator would be the best choice to reduce the loudness level... he adviced me of reducing the number and the efficiency of the speakers. Of course the sound wouldn’t be exactly the same, but it would be better than any hot plate (it was long time ago... probably today attenuators are way better).

Groutsch likes this.
  14. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Menifee, CA
    Hell to the yes get one! I have a late 64' and I love it. Just get a Weber Mass, or a THD Hotplate and you're good to go. You can also try YellowJacket tube converters,

Groutsch likes this.
  15. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Have not been loving my SRRI lately. In retrospect, I think a Silverface might have been a better move.

Groutsch likes this.
  16. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Why do you think a Silverface might have been better than a SRRI?

17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, probably a Blackface (reissue or not) it’s a bit harder to handle than a Silver. Many people dislike the master volume on the Silvers, but I can tell it’s really handy when you try to dirt up your sound at human volume. Again, it may not be exactly the Super Reverb sound, but still sound better (to my ears) than the old style attenuators.

18. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    For some reason mine feels really cold. Certainly compared to friends’ silver and black face Supers. This might just be the Weber speakers I have in it sounding especially strident. There might just be something to the sound of a 40+ year old amp though. I’m considering moving to a set of Warehouse Veteran 10s to see if that helps to warm it up a bit.
    Edit- I’m not against reissues at all. I have a well played 5 year old DRRI that I think sounds as nice as any earlier model I’ve heard.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Groutsch likes this.
  19. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Do you or a tech bias the power section/power tubes? Curious what the bias setting is at. I’ve never played a RI Super but I do have Weber’s in my 65’ Super Reverb I built and not strident at all. I have two Weber 10A125’s and two 10F150’s in the amp.

20. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    NO. unless you want to use it as a spare table.

Groutsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice