Should a brand new $2500 Gretsch Players Edition guitar be unplayable out of the box?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Snow, May 22, 2020.

1. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    You are such a tease.

thunder58 and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  2. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    It's been over a decade since I ordered from Sweetwater or Musician's Friend or the ilk, but I always liked dealing with Sweetwater for what it's worth-- very understanding about returns, or if you needed to have stuff sent ahead on tour, or if something was sent in not-optimal condition. But companies can change a lot in a decade, and since moving to Europe, I tend to lose track of what's going on back in the Old Country as it were. :D

Glad to hear they're still one of the good ones.

3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ve had to set up any guitar I’ve ever bought. Including lots from Sweetwater. And my setups include LOW action. Like, as low as the guitar allows. A little buzz does not bother me, as its not detectable when playing through an amp.

As a new player, I would advise you to take a small amount of time and learn about setups. It’ll be good for you in the long run.

Enjoy!!

stilesg57, new6659, LA Miles and 4 others like this.
  4. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Electromatic

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    Same with me until up to now that is. My new G5220 was perfect straight out of the box.
    Couldn't find a damn thing to tinker with to make it play any better.
    So just a fret polish and Change strings to my usuals.

5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t know if Sweet Water is even 100% operational on the 55 point inspection side considering the virus thing. If they are short staffed and it was inspected they likely are being less critical.

6. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Great point. I bought an Electro Jet while in quarantine from Sweetwater that I had to return because it had a high fret, no switch tip, and a bad input jack. NOT their usual style.

Merc likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would just learn to do a setup. Mine changes seasonally no matter how well I try to keep the humidity and temps stable for it. Now any serious issues like fret sprout or high frets needing a level and it would get returned no guitar should be sent like that.

8. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    The comparison would be much appreciated. :)

Rough spots on the binding is interesting. I'm guessing on the neck? Mine had nothing there - is yours a TG, or just a T..? Just pondering perhaps if it's a 'T' with chrome (which means cheaper than the TG), then perhaps it's an early production one? If the serial number's a 19, then that may be the issue.

My 5655TG is very dark in low light. Under strong light, it really pops, but it needs strong light. Really needs it.

9. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Neck dive is not a Gretsch issue per se, but some guitar architectures balance better than others. More frets clear of the body can aggravate it. So can heavy tuners and small or lightweight guitar bodies. So can a gut on the player (speaking from experience ...). It can even vary between two guitars of the same model.

Sometimes a slight strap adjustment will help. No matter how fit or unfit you are, your torso isn’t flat, and raising or lowering the guitar a little can change how it rests against your body.

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Well, "inspection" doesn't imply "setup" or "adjustment". I'm curious what 55 things they actually "inspect" for. Not that they're incompetent, I'm just wondering how they add it all up to reach 55. That's a large number.

Cost here isn't indicative of playability out of the box, it's indicative of material quality, construction methods, electronics quality and finish. Out-of-box playability can be a crapshoot. In the case of pro level guitars like Gibson, more than one Gibson factory rep have told me that you get a free setup at an authorized Gibson shop. The guitars arrive somewhat roughly set up but it's expected that everyone has a different requirement in mind.

On another note, a guitar that was set up perfectly prior to shipping can arrive unplayable depending on conditions during shipment. Fortunately, a simple adjustment like the bridge thumbwheel can take care of things like that.

Fact is, every guitar I've ever purchased required a setup - all were/are pro level models. And all but one needed serious nut sculpting. So like others have said, it's a good idea to learn some of this yourself.

section2 and Scott like this.
  11. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I wish that when I was a beginner I could have afforded a $2500 guitar, but that wasn't the case, sadly. I too would be disappointed if I paid that kind of money and had to immediately work on it, when I barely understood how they worked at all.
    My skills as a player grew way faster than as a mechanic of guitars. It has taken a long time for me to learn the set up skills necessary to make guitars playable, since in my experience they rarely, if ever, show up that way out of the box.
    I know now that temperature and humidity affect guitars quite a bit, and warehouses aren't usually warm and humidified, so I expect to do some setup work.

But it sounds as if your beef is more with the retailer than the guitar itself. Given the length of your OP, I'd say it would be worth your time to call them and let them know how you feel.

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sometimes .... geeeeeeezzzee

MTurner likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Not sure what to say.

A guitar set up is a personal thing. Each individual has their own playing tecnique.

A perfect set up for one person, can be a buzz machine for another.

Nature of the beast, and a 1500 point inspection won't change this fact.

https://images.app.goo.gl/J99S3ZjigjsWDneU8

"It's got a buzz!"

RomanS and stevo like this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I am irritated that this hapened to you.
    It never occured to me. Japanese guitars are usually top notch. The builders there take a lot of pride in their products and the quality control deserves it`s name. It is strange that you received two guitars that are not perfectly o.k.. (Even one of them is not of Japanese origin.)

15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Precisely on target.

RomanS likes this.
  16. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    The world isn't perfect.

Could easily have been perfect when it left SW, As others have said - shipping. humidity, temp., etc. Perhaps the "inspector" was interrupted when doing the check and missed it, or God forbid made a mistake. IF that is the only expensive item you buy in your life that isn't perfect consider yourself lucky.

Hopefully it works out for you.

17. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Apparently you don’t. Each to his own, but I hope you’re aware that every advise on yet unproven strategies on how to cope with the coronavirus is potentially dangerous.

mrcoffee23, Henry and sgarnett like this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

We do a very through quarantine process at our house, so that is why the OP has confused me.

The OP already opened the box and the case, felt the guitar, played the guitar to find a buzz and must have worn the guitar with a strap to conclude it has neck dive....I’m really confused why he is now quarantining it.

Henry and Bertotti like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    OP said he already had it out so why box it back up, or did I misunderstand what was done, just stick it on a stand in the sun. Any damage done is already done. I won't go farther I would hate for the tread to get closed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice