Shhhhh....We never talk about capo's...

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by thunder58, Aug 28, 2016.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ....and why is that ?
    So what type / brand of capo do you use if at all . I only have Kyser capo's and I hate the way a capo can make a guitar out of tune too . Has anyone ever used or tried a Thelia Capo ?
    Sooooo....what do you use ?

2. Random1643

Random1643 Synchromatic

May 10, 2015
    Upper Midwest, USA
    Varies. I use Kysers on my Breedlove dread, a Simon & Patrick parlor, a beater travel guitar & the G5620T-CB. My '68 Standel AKA Harptone jumbo is 1.8" at the nut so, at the suggestion of my local music shop, I've gone with a Shubb 12-string capo; works great.

The Gretsch is my only guitar that has zero tunage issues as a move the capo around. Love it!

T simmons likes this.
  3. Uniblob

Uniblob Gretschie

Jun 21, 2015
    Baltimore
    I've had the same Shubb capo for probably 25 years. It might be the one piece of equipment that I have never felt the need to experiment with; it does its job, no more, no less.

blc45 and Sarah93003 like this.
  4. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

I have several Shubbs, and I like them the best. I keep one in my purse, just in case. I have a G7th that I use for my 12 string. I don't have tuning issues with either of these. I have a few others that occupy different rooms and guitar cases that I happened to gather over the years. Every case has extra picks and a capo, in case I need them.

mrfixitmi and DaddyDog like this.
  5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Shubb - love mine. I have a Kyser and a Planet waves or two. But the Shubb is my favorite. It's not great for when I want to clip it to my headstock, but other than that, it's fool proof.

Random1643 likes this.
  6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That's coz the Capo di tutti capi doesn't want us to.

fender62custom and Random1643 like this.
  7. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    I have a Shubb capo. I try to avoid using it as much as possible.

Mostly I use it on my acoustic guitars when a a particular key with open strings are required for fiddle or vocal traditions.

Also, when I'm trying to match my vocals with some tune where I finger pick melody/harmony. The chord patterns of C and G, seem to generate the best opportunities for finger picking.

I usually put the capo over the top to avoid conflict with my index finger on my fretting hand.

Lee

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    One of my faves! Screenshot_2016-08-28-16-11-12-1.png

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Oh yea, i use a Shubb too.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I used Shubb capos for year until about 5 years ago and discovered the G7th capos.
    The G7th capos are great and I think I have less tuning problems with them.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  11. WyldGyft

WyldGyft Electromatic

Aug 28, 2016
    USA
    Haven't experimented wildly with capos. I like Kysers for ease of use and purtiness. Got a particularly lovely rosewood Kyser.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I use a G 7th. I like that I can clamp it only as tightly as needed to cleanly fret, whereas others are all or nothing.

13. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Shubb - but might try the G7th if I see one at the right price.

T simmons likes this.
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I've had Kysers, and Dunlop capos, but when I found the Shubb at my local music store, I never looked back. I have one in every acoustic case, and a few scattered among the electrics. I did try a G7, but I preferred the Shubb.

15. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have a few different capos but I use this one the most. It's a roller capo
    image.jpeg

T simmons likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I use capos as often as I use pedals.

T simmons likes this.
  17. David_D

David_D Gretschie

Oct 14, 2015
    New Jersey
    I use a G7th capo. Best one Ive found. It just works...on all my guitars. It's super easy-on/easy-off.
    upload_2016-8-28_20-36-49.png

T simmons likes this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Kyser. The tuning stability comes down to a "feel" thing. You gotta exert juuuust the right amount of pressure......I used one a TON when I did a lot of solo singer/songwriter stuff and got quite good at it for awhile. I don't use one much these days, but I nothing against my good friend Capo. :)

19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  20. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I have two kysers and a shubb. Even though one of the kysers and the shubb are designed for 12 strings, none of them work well on my 12-string. Octave E and A always end up sounding fretted out. Aside from that, I prefer the Kyser because I feel I can nudge it about to counteract the detuning effect.

T simmons likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice