Setup guide is confusing

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Amir, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Amir

Amir Newbie

Mar 24, 2020
    U.S
    Hi Guys,
    On the Gretsch Guitars webside the setup specifications say the following:
    "Nut Height (Without Zero Fret)
    Bass side .020" treble sie .018"

My guitar does have a Zero fret
    it's a 6119 (1961 Vintage)
    and i also got a 2001 one

1. what should be the fret height? I assume the question should be:
    What should be the gap between the first fret to the bottom of the string on the Bass vs the treble....is it what you specified above? .02 and 0.18? if so what does it mean without zero fret?

2. should i hold down on 3rd fret while measuring?

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum Amir . I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out

3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Low enough for comfortable play and high enough not to buzz

I’m sure you know;
    zero fret is not adjustable other than replacing the fret. A standard nut of course can only be modified to lower the string height by filing unless the nut is shimmed higher or the nut slot gets built up.

I like my string heights measured from the bottom of the string to the top of the first fret somewhere around .008 of an inch. I have difficulty playing clean with a height in the .020 area.

Do you have a guitar you love the feel of in the cowboy chord area? If yes, measure the string height on the guitar.

Amir likes this.
  4. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    First ide make sure you got .008 of break in your neck by adjusting your truss rod. Measurement is in middle of neck with capo at first fret and E string fretted at last fret..adjust in quarter turn increments. Tune after each adjustment..Towards bottom strings relieves tension and creates curve. Towards the top strings flattens neck...when that’s in line... I drop the bridge til I get slight buzz then raise the bridge wheels until buzz is gone,, then maybe a bit higher.. sometimes I’ll raise it higher than what I end up with just to feel the difference. Some say there’s more sonic goodness with higher action. Also it depends on your style of play. If your a heavy strummer you might appreciate a higher action. If your a soft touch lead guy lower could enhance your attack. Dont be stuck on a number. Experiment... those adjustment wheels are Your friends...get to know your friends. I believe action height is a preference that changes with time..
    En stuff like that.....lol
    YouTube it..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    Amir likes this.
  5. Amir

Amir Newbie

Mar 24, 2020
    U.S
    you mean .008 not .08 right?

6. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Ha.....yeeah

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice