Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Setting up 2 Electro's with different strings????

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Gravel Man, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Gravel Man

Gravel Man Electromatic

May 25, 2017
    California
    First of all if I am beating a dead horse by asking this question I am sorry.
    I have 2 Gretsch Electromatic's. I have D'Addario XL Chomes 12-52 I love the warm bluesy/ jazzy sound and feel of them. I finger pick a lot. I am thinking of putting a bright set of strings on my other Gretsch. Please any recommendations. I am kind of new to hollowbody's.
    So Nickle Wound or Pro Steel strings??? If you use one or the other which one's do you like and why.....sound? playability? Thank you for your advise.

downloadgretsch2.jpg
    KS17053119-angle-largegretsch3.jpg

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you have to get brightness from your strings, maybe it's time for a Stainless Steel Compton bridge?

TSims1 likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I am personally a fan of Elixir Nanowebs. They are slick and easy to play, yet retain that fresh crispness for much longer than regular strings.

String threads are always tough though, so many choices and opinions.

4. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Yes, I go along with Elixir Nanowebs - for acoustic guitars.

But, since I bought my G6120, I've gone from DaDarrios to (dunno how) Elixir Bronze.

The Elixir Bronzes sound okay when amplified but sound dang horrible unamplified.

Does anyone have an informed opinion regarding Elixir Optiwebs?

My G6120 is now at the Doctor having its nut cut to accept .011s.

Radical, yes.

But it'll get over it.

Russ

5. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    For a woody vintage tone with sweet overtones I use Thomastik Jazz Swing ... much better than Chromes, btw.

For bright cleans and powerful overdrive I use Gibson Brite Wires, which are similar to the stock D'Addarrio XL, but with a better feel, longer life time and again ... more overtones.

PS: I used Elixirs once, but though they sounded nice, I ruined the coating with my fingernails in just three days! Yep, finger picking ;)

PPS: Flatwounds as other round core strings too reduce overdrive. For a vintage tone without a loss in overdrive bite I use Gibson Vintage Reissue ... pure nickel with a hex core.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Gibson Brite Wires for me.

Aymara likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Anything that sounds good to you is fine. Just keep experimenting.
    I settled mostly on GHS Boomers just because they feel a bit smoother than the others and are quite inductive (and cheap).

8. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I once tried them ... though never on a Gretsch ... and loved their feel, but found their sound too cold.