SERIAL TONE KILLER - II Le Retour

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by hcsterg, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:47 PM.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Reprise du projet - nearly one year later ! :confused::confused::confused:

I was somewhat fed up by the too numerous issues, and having other things to do... :oops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those who are still interested in o_O... More adventures and pics tomorrow ! ;)

A+!

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    It still looks impressive to me.

hcsterg likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Looks great, I would love to hear it. Why use the Holy grail housing in there? Noise issues?

hcsterg and Merc like this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I wondered the same thing. One thing cool about it unlike most stock amp reverbs, you can switch between Spring and Hall. Or even the mighty Flerb if that’s your bag. ;)

hcsterg likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Exactly, Ricochet : you got it = noise, or more precisely hum due to magnetic induction. And it's still the issue that I have to cure...

I used a toroidal transformer because - among its significant lightweight - I read everywhere that they provided much less 50Hz magnetic radiation than the classic EI transformers but I'm experiencing that this is not true at all !

I will probably have to displace the reverb unit, because with already shortened cable, the improvement is good, but I want silence : I am hum allergic...

Well, I use the (excellent) Spring preset only, so...

I made some displacement test to judge the hum attenuation :

[​IMG]

I draw the conclusion that it was the wires... So I shortened the IN / OUT connections to the reverb. Neat improvement, indeed... But not perfect !

[​IMG]

That's why I think that a displacement may be mandatory... It's not what I would, but... o_O:rolleyes:

A+!

Merc likes this.
  6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Dang HC, it looks awesome...can't make out most of them yellow words, though. Part of a song, maybe? I see le hum, de hum, du hum...yeah, I get it!

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have no idea what I'm looking at but, what is the function of those (wirewound) 5w1kj cement resistors?

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks dafreeze ! ;)

Well, The Great Hum Song isn't my preference at all - I much prefer That Great Gretsch Sound - without hum ! :rolleyes::D

Yes, Ricochet : these are the screen serial resistors of the 6L6GC power tubes (1K/5W) - usually 470R on Fenders and 1K on Marshalls. This allow me to install 6L6 or EL34.

Today I made a power transformer displacement tests - quite conclusive :

[​IMG]

An EI type transformer of the same power may finally radiate less hum o_O, or at least an orientated one , moreover I can find one giving 2 plate voltages allowing HI power - FIXED bias / LO power - CATHODE bias. :cool:

But the drawback is the weight increase : +3kg :eek: ! I tried to design this amp to be lightweight... I'm somewhat puzzled... :oops::(

Wait and See... ;)

A+!

new6659 and dafreeze like this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Latest news for today...

Thanks to a tech-minded member on another forum, I placed the toroidal transformer with its axe horizontal (90° rotation) :

[​IMG]

And It eradicated the hum in the reverb circuit ! :):):) As simple as stupid as that... :rolleyes:

That said, the toroidal transformer is nonetheless a widespread magnetic hum generator : don't expect to approach the amp at less than 2 meters with a single-coil pickups guitar in overdrive mode, and in a chosen precise position, at moderate overdrive and gentle volume.

I just imagine playing loud with a hi drive level with a strat :eek::eek::eek:...

Tentatively, I'll install the transformer on a bracket in order to go further in the building / setting of the amp, and make other tests to see if an EI transformer would be worth to install.

Despite that, I can say that the short sound test I mad this evening were very promising, both in clean and overdriven mode... It's encouraging, finally ! :cool:

Wait and See, then.

A+!

Waxhead and Ricochet like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Grounded shielding inside the amp section of the cab couldn't hurt---basically a Faraday cage. Cuts down on spurious emissions (Spurious Emissions is a great band name, by the way).

hcsterg and audept like this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I knew a guy who named his band "Nocturnal Emissions" ;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 8:20 PM
    wabash slim likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this grounded shielding is already in the cab since its construction, making a Faraday cage, you guess it, wabash slim... ;)

[​IMG]

But this has no efficiency against magnetic field hum radiations. To be truly efficient, the chassis and the upper shielding would have been made from µ metal, an absolute pain to work and costing an eye ! :confused:

A+!

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice