Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Segovia masterclass

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Dave-B, May 14, 2018.

1. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Andrés Segovia guides an enthusiastic student through the intricacies of phrasing, expression & technique. I am rarely brought to tears by classical performances, but this one does it for me.

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I just tuned my guitar to hers and can now play almost as good...he,he,he

I am so glad he didn't say "caress the G string"
    :oops:

Bertotti likes this.
  3. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Segovia was once quoted as having said - "Electric guitars are obscene and should be banned."

Couldn't agree more, at least I believe it should apply to those riff-and power chord- noodlin' numpties that seem to inhabit every guitar shop on the planet and who monopolise every guitar testing room that is equipped with amps of output power above 50 watts so that nobody is in any doubt of their heavy metal prowess.

Seriously though, Segovia was a massive influence on me as a teenager who was having trouble enough trying to master the chords and solos of The Shadows and The Beatles without having to try to understand just how impossible it would be to ever become a classical guitarist. I listened to his concerts on BBC radio, bought albums of his I could ill afford and remained a fan to the bitter end. He almost single-handed raised the profile of the guitar from the hands of flamenco players and put it on the concert stages of the world by doggedly transcribing and recording lute music from famous composers like Bach and even more importantly by convincing contemporary composers to write for the guitar. His contribution to the current status of the classical guitar is immesurable.
    John Williams (the guitarist not the film music guru) was a student of Segovia and Segovia once said of his protegé : "The hand of God has been placed on this man". Perhaps he was right.

Here you will find Segovia's wonderful rendition of Asturias filmed in the Alambhra in Granada:-

The man ramains a legend for all who can see his genius.I am not sure when the recording was made but I believe I am right in saying he was more than 80 years old at the time.
    Pure magic.

Not exactly known for his sense of humour this master class video clip is a wonderful example of patience in the face of the enemy!!!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Bertotti likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Don't know why it's funny.

5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC

Try this one
    :D:D:D

Mjb11800 likes this.
  6. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Then I guess you also don't understand why Monty Python is funny to so many of us!
    It's pointless trying to answer your question Stevo, because humour is in the eye, ear and head of the beholder and we are all different, thank the Lord. What I find funny, you don't and what you find funny, I don't - a bit like music really.

7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, this one works. I do enjoy these voice over things.

larryb likes this.
  8. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I take it all back about so-called modern music being garbage!
    Brilliant.

larryb likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I Love Monty Python, loved the Rolling Stones shred. First one is a fail. Just not well executed.

10. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Dave-B who posted that clip found it funny, I found it funny, you just continue to trash it instead of simply accepting that different things make different people laugh, it's about enjoyment, like music really as I said. All of this is of course IMHO, I'm not trying to lay down the law here, quite the opposite in fact.

11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That we differ I get. That it somehow says that I don't like Monty Python I didn't appreciate. That's about all.

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know at first I was watching this wondering how could he teach this person and keep a straight face! Then I realized it had to be a joke. Funny as hell.

Charles Conner likes this.
  13. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    What practice can do. ( Unedited )

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Bertotti likes this.
  14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ...and who could forget Slash's EPIC solo....This is how I sound whenever I try a guitar a Guitar Center...YEAH!!!!

stevo likes this.
  15. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Actually, I got to see and listen to John Williams at a Sydney Town Hall concert.

Yep. Very impressive. And I bought an LP on the strength of his show. Not a Les Paul. But a vinyl LP.

That particular LP is probably the most well kept (along with Aja) of all my collection.

But - well - incredibly booooorring.

Finding it hard to type this post, I'm getting sleepy thinking about the subject.

Russ

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Where's that looking down, shaking head, while laughing uncontrollably smilie?!

17. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
    Lol that’s funny

Which reminds me of the bad lip reading channel on YouTube, which i’m sure everyone has seen:

Bertotti and larryb like this.
  18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Those are great, but this is my all time fav!!!

Mjb11800 likes this.
  19. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
    Lol :D
    I’m never gonna be able to un-hear that now!!

larryb likes this.
  20. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    You're welcome....."make me fries":p:p:p