Seeking info on a 1965(?)Nashville 6120

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by coolguyzoop, Aug 7, 2019.

1. coolguyzoop

coolguyzoop Newbie

Aug 2, 2019
    nashville
    Just picked this up a few days ago and it seems to have some interesting features (stinger on headstock). Looks to be a'65 but I'm not quite sure. Looking for any and all info on this!
    IMG_3611.jpg IMG_3606.jpg IMG_3607.jpg

calebaaron666, Armygirl and MTurner like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend . Beautiful guitar . I'm sure someone will help soon

coolguyzoop likes this.
  3. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    From the S/N I'm seeing it as a 1967 Baldwin era, but bigger brains will drop by soon. If you get a response from member Wayne Gretschzky forget everything else and listen to him.

Welcome to the group.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    coolguyzoop likes this.
  4. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Hello there! Nice to meet you. I have no idea how to answer your question but you're in the right place!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

5. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Serial number dates it to July of 1967. The tuners have been changed to Grovers.

coolguyzoop and blueruins like this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, cgz !
    welcome mat 108.jpg

coolguyzoop likes this.
  7. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Isn't it a 6122? Painted f holes, mute, kill switch, hole cover and looks 2 inches thick.

pilgrim likes this.
  8. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Definitely a 612o. I had a 67 myself for a while and it looked just like that (it had the original tuners, though). Never should have sold it.

coolguyzoop likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house!

Lovely geet,congrats!

Watch out for that aul binding rot,mine didn't have anything for over 25 years of my ownership....then it just started when i had it in storage for several months.:(

gfirob and Armygirl like this.
  10. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I used one in Nashville. It was black, The man I was backing up said "black". I did not care for this model nor the man. I brought it back to MS when I quit. I had it for sale for 2 yrs. and I finally got $700 for it. I have a Baldwin White Falcon, it's in the picture to your left.

Sabato likes this.
  11. gfirob

gfirob Electromatic

Jul 5, 2019
    Rochester, Vermont
    I've got one from a little earlier in 1967 (no "Made in America" on the back of the headstock) with almost all the binding gone and green corrosion on the knobs. Very fabulous sounding and playing guitar, however. I think there is some relationship between the gassing off and crumbling of the binding and the corrosion, as a result of being left in the case for an extended period. They really sound great though, with those old Filter-trons.

12. afire

afire Country Gent

Cool guitar. You see stingers once in a while, and the natural presumption is that it's hiding a repair. But with the serial number over the stinger, this one certainly does appear to be factory original. It makes you wonder if at least some of the earlier ones that can't exactly be verified because the SN was elsewhere may have been original too? Perhaps Gretsch would occasionally feel the need to cover up something, like a mineral streak, and would apply a stinger.

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The ‘62 and later 6120s were basically a 16” clone of a Country Gent. At some point, I believe 1964, they started calling it The Chet Atkins Nashville Model.

vyndance likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice