Seeing The Cult!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by calebaaron666, Oct 18, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    0FE1E8BD-7B21-43A2-A3FB-73B9A3C42A50.jpeg
    I just bought tickets to see The Cult in Boston on my birthday in December!

I usually refuse to pay the (what I would consider obscene) ticket prices promoters charge nowadays.
    However, I’ll make an exception to see The Cult perform the Sonic Temple album in it’s entirety!

I wore out that cassette tape when I was a kid! I fixed it with scotch tape. I still have it!
    Psyched!!

2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Awesome! I remember when my older brother brought home the Sonic Temple cassette. That album saw a lot of action in the tape deck of the family Buick. I'm sure it'll be a great show.

Gretsch Junkie and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    That's great!

Have fun, enjoy ... and ... tbh, I sometimes trick me into thinking "it's worth it" by comparing to smoking expenses - I get basically nothing, and whatever I might get is worse than nothing ... and keep doing so since 1994 anyway. My most expensive tickets were the Rolling Stones in 2017, which cost about 110 € each ... that's like 6 weeks of smoking that don't do me any good, while I still remember every concert I went to, and never have seen any real bad one. Although, Kiss in 2008, kind of, ... wasn't that cool.

Anyway - have fun! The Cult still are on my list of "take a closer look into!"-bands ... damned, that list just grows and grows and grows...

I saw them in 2007, opening for (the remains of) the Who - not a bad support act!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    This will be a great experience for sure! Enjoy that concert (and your birthday).

5. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    They have been my very first music crush (along with The Alarm) in high school. I was a punk rocker, dressed like Billy Duffy in the Love Lp inner sleeve pics, bleached quiff and leather jacked included. I just started play the guitar and I dreamed about his White Falcon (that was the first time I discovered Gretsch), I ended up with a white wanna-be 335 Hondo instead.:D
    I saw them perform in the late ‘80s on the Love tour, one of my first rock’n’roll gigs. I was obsessed, and so where all my friends. Then rockabilly got in the way, I needed a gang and I lost touch since they released Electric (I sparsely bought their album though, most of them are very good). But those were times, boy. I’ve never ever been so excited for music like when I was 18.

6. moltenmagna

moltenmagna Electromatic

Mar 5, 2009
    Hong Kong
    Saw them three times in two different cities on the Sonic Temple tour. Canadians have a special relationship with this band. Listen to some of Billy's solos when the songs are fading out. He's definitely up there with the best of them. It's fairly clear to me that this is not a band that has substance abuse problems (at least now anyway): Ian to a drunk/stoned heckler, "Yeah rehabs a ***** man!"
    Their hearts and souls are in the music. I can't think of better way to spend my birthday!

7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    One of my favorite bands, enjoy!

One of my favorite rig rundowns:

I love Duffy's down to earth personality.

8. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That’s a good story!
    Dreamtime and Love are my favorites from them, but Sonic Temple was the first one I heard when I was a young kid. I didn’t start digging deeper till I was a little older in my 20’s.
    I’ve always thought they’d be a fun band to see live.

stiv and Gretsch Junkie like this.
  9. Gretsch Junkie

Gretsch Junkie Electromatic

Jul 23, 2017
    New Jersey
    I’ll be at the show in Atlantic City December 13th! I also highly recommend the 30th Anniversary edition vinyl for “Sonic Temple”. Got my copy for $25. Sounds fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calebaaron666 likes this.
  10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I just met a guy from Canada at a show I was playing last night who was wearing a Cult t shirt! He said he just saw them recently, and they rocked!
    And I think Billy Duffy is one of the best of the “hard rock” guitarists. Always thought he was way more fun than Slash!

11. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yep, might be the BEST rig rundown!

Gretsch Junkie and stevo like this.
  12. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Awesome! That’s the night before the Boston show!
    I have it on vinyl already, BUT maybe I should get the new edition to get revved up!

Gretsch Junkie likes this.
  13. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Despite what’s written in the net, I still consider Electric a very good album. I remember when I first heard Love Removal Machine and the ‘Start it Up’ comparison... all lies. That was a great songs fer sure... I think I even saw Billy using a Black Falcon on it on some video.
    Btw, my favorite record all time by The Cult is the ‘Resurrection Joe’ 10”. Boy that song was fantastic. That moment between Dreamtime and Love has been the band’s edge IMHO. I played it so many times I couldn’t even remember. Non stop for a month. And I’m not joking. My sister wanted to kill me:D

calebaaron666 and Gretsch Junkie like this.
  14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Electric RULES!
    I could live without their version of Born to be Wild, but regardless, it’s a killer album!
    About that album they say “Rick Rubin didn’t produce The Cult, he REDUCED The Cult”.

stiv likes this.
  15. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Exactly.
    That’s the reason why I like it.
    Apart from that, if I have to pick a vocal tone that I’d like my voice to soundalike, that tone would still be Ian. Man I love his voice. Although very fragile (in all the demo tape I owned at the time of them live, he always performed sub par and in the lonely gig of them I saw too), his tone is fantastic. The funny story about him is that my manager met him on the pissing room next to him at (now defunct) The Borderline in London West End. Completely drunk and out of his head. I would have died in my pants if it happened to me.

16. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Ha! That’s fun.
    And yeah man, Ian has the coolest voice! It’s ghostly!

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    stiv said"I think I even saw Billy using a Black Falcon on it on some video"

For the Love Removal Machine video Billy used his 70's Country Club,my uncle had the same geet,but i never got it when he moved it on...:(

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  18. Bass guy

Bass guy Electromatic

I like there music. (This seems to be a trend with Canadians.) Some solid bass lines by Jamie Stewart on the Sonic Temple album. He played some keyboards on that album too. Odd fact about Jamie Stewart: his dad was a violinist for the London Symphony Orchestra, and his mom was a dancer with the National Ballet. Not sure how I would have turned out in that family!!

19. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Saw The Cult back in the day with Guns n Roses opening right when Appetite was first released. Still one of the best shows I've seen.

20. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I may be from a different age.

I still remeber my German vinyl-selling "dealer" waiting for me to enter his shop to tell me -over excitedly- that there is something very special waiting for me.
    It was the brand new copy of Judas Priest`s British Steel, the ZZ Tops Eliminiator album, The Cult`s Electric and Metalica`s Kill Em All. And many , many more. Still own the originals.

In those days nothing was awailable via Youtube. There was no internet. You had to wait to get your hands on a physical album. Sometimes for months over here. I bought my vinyl Kiss collection years after the offical publishing date in the late seventies. Played them until they litteraly wore out (and bough -sometimes more than two- new copies of them).

I had to travel to Englsnd to buy an original copy of Too fast for Love from Mötley Crüe and discovered all that great British pub-rock bands on the way. BFBS was the only media (radio) to bring all those new music to us over here.

From today`s view not all bands of those days hold the test of times.The Cult stayed with me for decades. Billy is a true icon and the best at what he does.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice