Seattle 1991...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by j.s.c, May 14, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well lets move to the present ......... imo.
    Pearl Jam are the worlds best rock band (not grunge - rock) recording and touring in 2019.
    With now 12 great studio albums and countless live CDs they have been the worlds best and most innovative rock band for 20 yrs imo.

I've seen them x5 live too and they are the best live act I've seen since Pink Floyd.
    PJ's last 3 albums are the best they've ever released imo.
    Check out Lightning Bolt, self titled Avocado and Backspacer plus this :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Did I hear you say you want more recent PJ - ok :)

4. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    In the early 90s (1992, to be more accurate) a small band of three 19 years old kids from Belleville, Illinois called Uncle Tupelo changed my life forever regarding music and everything related to that (before then, I still was on Setzer, Yoakam and SRV), starting from scratch what it's been later called aternative country (but it was named country punk at the times).
    So for me the whole grunge scene was just what they played on tv and radio (and music magazines) just like the LA glam scene or anything else was popular at the moment. The mainstream.
    Still I loved records like Nevermind, Dirt or my favourite (later) incarnation of the whole thing, named Mad Season. I still listen to that record once in a while to these days.

j.s.c and Waxhead like this.
  5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Compare to L.A. glam-rock bands, that's very true that the grunge music is an overwhelming wave of depression feelings... Btw frustrations and bad moods are often the preamble to great artistic creation.

Moreover, looking at people who left us we can't say that this sad mood was a fake $$$ attitude...

But funny B.Setzer jumping all around within his leopard suit is cool too !

6. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I couldn't agree more! I was into the Glam and Sleaze scene, and still do listen to some of the bands from then. Yes it was a bit silly, but that was part of the point, and like with all music there was a load of rubbish and a few gems. The problem was that everyone got lumped in together, so for every Faster Pussycat or Dogs D'Amour, you had a thousand Britny Fox's. Grunge didn't kill the scene, if anything, it committed suicide. The Grunge scene had become the next big thing and all of a sudden most of the Glam and Sleaze bands had a big panic and tried to change along with the musical tide. This never works because the new people you are trying to court aren't interested and your existing fans feel let down and everyone did it. I welcomed a new scene, but just wasn't in to it myself. A friend took me along to see a couple of new bands in '89 playing at Portsmouth Poly; Tad being supported by Nirvana. I was bored rigid and thought it was drab, tuneless drivel, Nirvana especially were excruciatingly bad, but people seemed to be into it.

I can, however, respect Eddie Vedder. I did see a video of PJ playing where he pulled a guy out of the crowd and cut his mullet off, saying "Long or short, make a stand."

People also forget that during the '80s we seemed to be very close to all going up in a nuclear explosion, so we needed a bright, colourful & fun counter point. The world stabilised in the early '90s and got drab and to be honest, we haven't yet recovered from it.

pmac11 likes this.
  7. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Funny, Uncle Tupelo was one of the bands I had in mind as one of those bands that did lo-fi with a good mix of seriousness and a bit of wittiness. I liked Jeff Tweedy’s stuff in particular, and later with Wilco. I tried to get into Son Volt, but found Jay Farrar too depressing.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I revisited Pearl Jam a few years ago when their stuff was getting airplay on a local nostalgia rock show “Flannel Flashback”. Decided I liked McCready’s Hendrix-style solo on Yellow Ledbetter and bought a copy on CD (no clue on the lyrics, though). Also decided I liked one of their albums and bought it, too, but was later told by my brother that it was every Pearl Jam fan’s least-favorite album.

stiv likes this.
  8. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, at list UT were true to their roots. I guess it wouldn't have to be that much fun living in Belleville in late 80s.
    A good friend of mine (Robert Fisher of Willard Grant Conspiracy), the man that taught me everything I know about songwriting, always told me to "write about what you know". Fer sure living behind the Stag Beer factory that was firing people because of the economical situation wasn't exactly as riding Harleys on Sunset Strip. So I can see why Jay & Jeff wrote about the Great Depression and a life worth livin'.
    On the other side, I always saw the Seattle scene a bit fake on that matter. I've been to Seattle in mid 90s and it wasn't exactly that dream city to live, but I always thought that the grunge thing has been a little pushed for the best economical results by the music biz.
    I'm a country boy, UT were talking to me like nothing did since punk rock in high school.

Oh, and btw Jay Farrar is a great gear collector (and a Gretsch user). I saw his auction some month ago on Reverb and it was a collection of treasures.
    He currently plays a Broadkaster on his last tour with Son Volt :)

9. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Reverb still has the Farrar video and a few pics up. Love the SG and Les Paul Jr guitars.

Listening to Yellow Ledbetter again right now. Maybe I’ll try Farrar’s Wide Swing Tremolo album again.

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ....just because:D

Waxhead and loudnlousy like this.
  11. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Don't tell me.
    I bought my '64 Polaris white SG Special because of his white Junior...;)

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Somehow grunge felt always meeh to me.
    I cannot exactly explain why I never could get warm with it.
    Maybe the somehow depressive attitude behind this music kept me away from it.

pmac11 likes this.
  13. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Ya'll don't know what the hell you're talking about on "Grunge".

Liking it or disliking it is one thing, but "your" quick summaries of what is was or not was, are way off.

I grew up in Seattle. I was DJ at the UofW radio station from 1986-1989. I may not have been a "Face" in the Seattle scene, but I knew people, went to a lot of shows...
    I saw Nirvana a few times, Soundgarden maybe 10x, Mudhoney dozens of times, Mother Love Bone once, TAD several times....Melvins a few times, and lots of other punk and alt. bands of the day....

First "Grunge" was a term coined AFTER the major bands were already exploding. Find and watch the movie "Hype", then get back to me, LOL.

None of the bands liked that label, and they all came from different scenes really. AIC from the metal scene, Pearl Jam from the ashes of Mother Love Bone's glam thing although Malfunkshun played clubs, only Soundgarden and Nirvana really came up through the punk club scenes...

The bands all pretty much developed their own sound for themselves, nobody was expecting to "Cash in" and become big stars. Even Nirvana, after they shot the "Teen Spirit" video just thought it was a lark. They had no idea it was going to blow up on MTV.

"Grunge" didn't kill rock, if anything it saved it, selling 10's of MILLIONS of records, of music that the youth of the day wanted to hear and could relate to. The kids no longer could relate to the yuck of meaningless glam that was being pushed down their throats...

For me the real "grunge" stars and pioneers were SLOW (from Vancouver B.C.), Green River/Mudhoney, and the tragically overlooked U-Men, Melvins, and TAD. Those bands didn't go around moping, they brought the HARD ROCK PARTY, music to (slam) dance to, and get loaded and laid at.

sh4rkbyt3, stiv, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  14. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    My band had the chance to open for Soundgarden and Mudhoney in San Francisco back in the day- before they got huge.
    Best guess is this show was in '89 -could be off a year either way Image.PNG

sh4rkbyt3, MotorCentaur and new6659 like this.
  15. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I was in the gigging scene during the nineties with an originals band. None of us were deeply into the grunge.
    I thought Nirvana could write a good tune and they were probably my favorite of the genre but I never owned an album of theirs.
    Too many great writers in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s had set the bar and I never felt that the Soundgardens, etc. could match the craft of the music before them.
    It was not worthless music though and I wouldn’t dismiss someone’s feelings for it. The bands were talented and striving to do something worthwhile.
    It was a great time for live music and there were new bands everywhere. Part of the reason I think rock has lost its luster is that a quarter of the guys I meet nowadays played guitar at one point or another.
    When music got dumbed down to the point that anyone could do it then why should anyone be impressed?

16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was wondering if anyone would finally mention MudHoney!
    I can’t call them “grunge” cuz grunge is lame and mudhoney rule!
    “GRUNGE” was a word invented to sell flannel shirts and doc martins.

How do you feel about Dead Moon. Most DEFINITELY not “grunge” but they were of the pac-north west. I love them.
    RIP Fred Cole!

MotorCentaur and Waxhead like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My wife and a good friend of ours are huge Pearl Jam fans, we bought sets of 4 tickets for each others weddings. Great shows, though I'd prefer if dude eased up on the wine and politics.

larryb and Waxhead like this.
  18. optofonik

optofonik Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    Sponsored by an AM radio station four days before the brink of super-stardom.

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The word Grunge never meant much to me but it surely died forever with K Cobain in 1994.
    Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl then moved into hard rock with Foo Fighters.

By far the best grunge band of the 1990's, Pearl Jam, became a hard rock band and are still going strong. They've been the world's best hard rock band ever since imo but I've not heard Mudhoney or Dead Moon.
    I will take a listen :)

Here's 2 more of my fav Pearl Jam songs

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  20. optofonik

optofonik Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    Somewhere, Wonderful
    What a great story...

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2009/7/21/music-fred-toody-0809

Last edited: May 16, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice