Seattle 1991...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by j.s.c, May 14, 2019.

1. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Hoo everybody,

I found this vid and I decided to share it, ... Thus It takes us back in time, Seattle 1991 during the grunge birth's period.

This one is from Pearl J. For youngsters I would say, One of the 4 riders who save rock from L.A. girls girls girls and all their hair metal bands (some cool as G&R, but mainly stupid fu$k music). So it's time to honor the Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains and Soundgarden support and losses to cause of rock'n'roll and logger's shirt.

This one is particulary cool as this is a live performance few weeks before they released their first hit record "Ten", so anybody in the audience was aware of what they saw will be a major shake of rock music in the 90. Second, one of the guy was playing a Gretsch Western Jet (a strange 6121 from the '80 I presume) on few songs (as 'Garden' 13:00)... even if it was strange design (big head stock, etc..) it sounds very cool to me.

Henry, section2, DannyB and 3 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    They say grunge killed arena rock. I think it actually saved us from glam metal excesses not to mention humongous hair dresser bills. It was ok to wear a T and jeans again, and the guitars were still loud. I loved Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots in particular.

Donaldo, section2, DannyB and 4 others like this.
  3. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    The sounds of my youth. I was a Freshman in high school when Ten came out. I was blown away. Had never heard anything like it, and listened to it non-stop. I moved on from it and absolutely fell in love with Soundgarden. I'm still shook up by Chris Cornell's sudden death/suicide. They're easily my favorite of the big 4 from Seattle to this day. In order, Soungarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Nirvana for me. The nostalgia is THICK with all of that music. I can almost time travel when I listen to any of that stuff. Thanks for posting!

4. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I graduated High School in 1992 in Denver, CO. This is exactly what was going on while I was there. There was a strong connection between Seattle and Denver musically, so I got to see all of these bands in tiny venues in the year or two that led up to the big explosion. I even got the opportunity to see Primus, Sonic Youth and Mudhoney at Red Rocks right in the heyday of grunge, and it remains one of the best shows I ever attended. Maybe not the greatest music ever, but for me it was just an amazing time to be involved in music. Luckily there were still no digital cameras at that time, so there's no real evidence of how stupid we looked wearing baggy shorts with Docs and long sleeve flannels. yikes.

new6659, sh4rkbyt3 and Merc like this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It was a great music and time for live music. Music scenes less mainstream were alive and well nationwide. Boston had some great local bands.

Gretschwise, I dig the big headstock on Jets of the 90’s too. I had a 98 or 99 and one of the few guitars I’ve sold that I should’ve kept.

Chris Cornell is was and is one of my favorite singers, loved his first two Audioslave albums as well.

Both plaid and Docs are ok in my book even if I don’t wear it now. I believe Docs are still worn today by some punks and Rockabilly cats.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    section2 and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  6. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I think it has been blocked.
    Bummer, my wife would have loved it as she's still a big fan.
    I remember being a rockabilly cat in Dallas, 1991, with all the kids in a rock club listening to Pearl Jam and me wondering who the heck they were... :)

section2, Yukimajo and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  7. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    I graduated in 93 and was on the wrong coast, NYC was a fun spot to run around in during those days but I kept wanting to go to Seattle, never made it out. I don’t know if I’d want to be 18 again but I’d go back on vacation

section2 and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  8. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Chris Cornell was not only a great singer but a genius in his songwriting capabilities as well. Same with Jerry Cantrell. Hard to believe you'd have two superstars in the same band back then also ;) , Temple of the Dog.
    I was in my 30's then and getting turned on to Sonic Youth and some others as well really invigorated my love of music all over again (Nirvana, Soundgarden included here), when glam rock had really burned itself out with sucky ballads. Oddly enough listening to the music at that time also made me go backwards to give Lou Reed much more of a listen. The cooler part was some of those bands actually did some touring and played a lot of small/intimate venues before the whole grunge thing exploded.
    In some ways it kind of reminded me of the early 70's when Country music was pretty popular but a lot of artists just started putting out really bad music, corallating (sp?) Country with Glam Rocks death in 2 different decades.

section2 and Merc like this.
  9. ramjac

ramjac Electromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Well, here it goes ... I’ll be the “counter-point” guy and open myself up to abuse. I broke out in hives when the grunge movement started. To me, it was the same old loud guitars and didn’t seem any less silly or more legitimate than the music it was replacing. It was, however, less fun. It seemed like for every angry young grunge band with a legitimate bone to pick that inspired their music, there were nine more that desperately wanted to pound out power chords and be angry about something. Anything. To me it seemed like a lot of loud muddy depressing faux angst. It was about the same ratio of good bands to bad bands as with 80s glam metal, but without the silly humorous self-indulgence and silly escapism that made hair metal fun. It was Timothy Dalton James Bond replacing Roger Moore James Bond. It wasn’t for me. I did a hard stop about-face and started exploring backwards on my own. Back to Sean Connery James Bond, if you like. Listened to the entire back catalogues of 60s and 70s bands and found a lot of great stuff I’d missed. I suppose I have grunge to thank for that. The oversimplified conclusion I came to and still cling to is that rock music went from “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” in the turbulent 60s to “You Can’t Get No Satisfaction”at the end of the self-indulgent 80s (“Moneytalks” off of AC/DC’s Thunderstruck album is one of my favorite examples of this theme, a wonderfully humorous piss-take on themselves) to “We Don’t Want No Satisfaction” in the early 90s.

A lot of people tell me that I’m missing the important point that grunge marked a refreshing rejection of 80s musical excess and overproduction. That the 90s musicians were no less talented or creative - they just recognized that finger tapping and gated reverb weren’t essential to great music. I don’t disagree, but I also think they threw out the baby with the bath water. To me there were plenty of other bands that did a lo-fi back to the roots sound, had serious important things to say, but still injected a little fun in the mix. Yes, there were a few fun and humorous grunge bands, but picking them out of the noise was more than a match for me, I guess. I agree with Pete Townsend that rock has a role in addressing social issues and explaining life, but I also agree with Roger in that it’s for dancing, too.

10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t see you getting abuse here at this forum as we all have the right to our opinion. There’s also likely a fan for everything recorded somewhere or else it it never would’ve been recorded in the first place. So there’s really no point in arguing or opening up abuse. We’re better than that here.

sh4rkbyt3, section2 and LivingMyDream like this.
  11. ramjac

ramjac Electromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Agreed. I’m not expecting any hostility or abuse. That bit was more of a nod and a wink to the fact that this was a real speaker-war fist-fight subject in 1991 among people in my age group.

section2, DannyB and Merc like this.
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I got into Grunge a bit later....I was still listening to Minor Threat, Bad Brains and Dag Nasty...and thought Nirvana was just a pop band, trying to be a mainstream punk band....I was wrong; they were very much their own thing and eventually became one of my favorites.....Then when I heard Layne Stayley's voice....it was all over and I was sold on Grunge.

sh4rkbyt3 and MotorCentaur like this.
  13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    One of my favorite Grunge bands and favorite singers

14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Minor Threat and Bad Brains = goodness

larryb and calebaaron666 like this.
  15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Soundgarden’s early stuff is awesome. I was done with them when “Black hole sun” happened.

I still like the “Dirt” record by Alice in Chains once every few years. It’s a sad sack of an album.

sh4rkbyt3, pmac11 and j.s.c like this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I never cared much for grunge. I didn't like the tortured sound of the singers. I hated most of the guitar tones and how most of the songs were without harmony vocals. I did like a few Sound Garden songs but not much else. Rock never really recovered after the grunge music era. Overall the music was a bummer for me. No humor, nothing positive just a drone that reflects the 90s perfectly.

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Meh, i can't get on with no Disco.

Lionpotato and calebaaron666 like this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I remember the '90s more for greed than grunge.

pmac11 and MotorCentaur like this.
  19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’ll take the worst of Disco over the best of Pearl Jam.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I listened to mostly classic rock and neo hippy stuff in the 90s (high school, college and law school), but it was a great time for rock,.with strong genres like neo hippy, alt/punk pop, metal and of course grunge. Actually, the 90s were arguably a local maximum for rock popularity.

sh4rkbyt3, section2 and Lionpotato like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice