School me on a 6118T Annie please

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Pop1655, May 25, 2019.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    It's tough being a Gretsch rookie. Struggling to get models straight. Loving my 5420, but sorta getting a hankering to test out going up a notch. Uneducated reading suggests the 6118 might be a logical step. What would I gain over a 5420 and what would I miss not going 6120? Thanks

T Bone likes this.
  2. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Versus the 5420 - USA Bigsby, HS Filertrons and in the Bamboo Yellow model TV Jones PUPS and I believe Trestle Bracing. The brand spankin new 6118's have quite a few upgrades. Look at StreetSounds NYC site - they layout the model specs nicely. As with all things Gretsch, it's confusing. Good luck

Pop1655 likes this.
  3. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Thanks!!

4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    About the only thing you would miss choosing an Anni over a 6120 is the color and some cosmetic features. Otherwise, they are virtually identical.

Henry and Pop1655 like this.
  5. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Bound fretboard. The Annie has an unbound fretboard which does affect the feel and perhaps familiarity after playing your 5420. The 6120 has binding, as do all other prolines if im not mistaken.

Pop1655 and T Bone like this.
  6. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Various years will also have various features. Some will have Ebony fretboards, while some older models (pre Fender involvment I think pre 2002) models will have Rosewood with a dye on it to darken it. Can be very annoying from what I've heard, as the dye can come off on your fingers when playing. I love both the look and the feel of the Ebony. Also at some point, the capacitor values on the "Mud" (tone) switch were changed, making them much more useful. Some of the latest models of the 6118 will not have a Mud Switch, but a tone pot instead.

Pickups will vary also with model. My 2015 6118T has HS (High Sensitive) Filtertrons. Others are used on some current models.

The 6120s come in a dizzying array of models and specs too, moreso than the 6118. There are a number of Setzer models, as well as signature models from The Reverend Horton Heat (RHH), etc. etc.

On both 6118 and 6120 series, bracing can be of different types based on model and year (Trestle Bracing, Parallel Sound Bars and Tone Post are 3 types commonly used in various models).

You really need to think about what you are looking for, which features are important to you (or at least which grab your interest).

The 5420 is a really nice guitar (I have one). But the 6118 (I have one in 2 tone Smoke Green) and 6120s (I have an RHH and a Setzer Hot Rod) are markedly better. Better quality components. Just generally a nicer guitar. And a Pro level instrument, where the 5420 is really not quite there, as nice as it is. A big jump in cost, some perceive not worth the bump in quality. I think most of us who have them feel it is.

7. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Yeah, what he said :)

T Bone likes this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Lots of good stuff in here. Thanks.

I think this pretty much says it:
    I'm a big fan of Japanese guitars. I've had FGN, Japanese fender and have two Tokais. That part of it is really calling me.

Last thing I want is for this to be a 5420 bash or a 5420 "just as good as" thing. The 5420 to me is a great piece and tremendous bang for the buck. Still, I find myself yearning for a little more. I feel like it's almost there, but not quite. I'm in my 5420 real right. I'm not much of a modder. I don't want to wander down that trail, get myself upside down and still not be thrilled. I'm also not thrilled with the idea of getting over invested in what will probably be my #3 regardless. I'm just an old bedroom hack who likes nice toys. We'll see if I can cool my jets, keep my finger off the add to cart button and enjoy the journey. Historically, I'm not very good at that. :p

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Not all Annies are alike. A few years back I bought a 1997 Annie for a good price. When I played it, it was dead and unresponsive. The guitar played OK but it was heavy. I sold it.
    More recently I bought a 2009 6118T-JR Anniversary Junior. The top was very thin 3 ply and it's most probably the most lively and responsive guitar I own.

WernerF, tartanphantom and T Bone like this.
  10. Filtertronico

Filtertronico Gretschie

Aug 26, 2014
    Germany
    Between the G1118 and the G6120 there's obviously the G6119:D The Tennessee Rose is also a fantastic guitar...

T Bone and Pop1655 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice