Said no guitarist ever ...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Aug 14, 2019.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Funny thing. Was in a motel in Durango Colorado packing for a week long trip in the mountains there. It was bike week and there were several Harleys parked in the lot. I was trying to take a nap and one guy was revving his engine and another guy started shouting to him and pretty soon they were striking up a conversation. Black leather, boots, the whole "we're not 1%ers, but we could be" look.

Turns out the one guy is from Denmark. That night I hear this really square sounding accordion music from one of the rooms. It was really good, but it was very Lawrence Welk. Yea, it was the Danish guy. One of his saddle bags is exclusively for the accordion. Not Motorhead? Guess not.

I'll never profile a cruiser bike rider again.

section2, ffooky, ishtar and 2 others like this.
  2. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    There is one banjo song I like a lot:

blueruins and ishtar like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Eagles' "Journey of the Sorcerer" is another. It's the theme song for "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy".

stevo and ishtar like this.
  4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Nice - thanks.

wabash slim likes this.
  5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’ll admit I don’t get the stigma....good banjo playing always brings a smile to my face.

I’ll agree that the charm wears thin after a half an hour or so before unless they’re extremely talented.

pmac11 likes this.
  6. Charging Charlie

Charging Charlie Gretschie

Jun 21, 2018
    Maryland
    This guitar I just got off E-Bay seems OK , I don't think I will change anything on it...........( for a minute ) LOL

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sad, but true, on both counts.

8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I gave up on sheet music when I was seven. It just slowed me down. I hear it, I play it.

Day job? I like to eat, and there were just too many "Do it for the exposure" gigs.

T Bone and Charging Charlie like this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I don’t rely on it all that much, but I’ve kept up my reading skills over the years.

wabash slim likes this.
  10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I can still pick out the notes on the G clef slowly. It's still faster for me just listening to the song.

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I can learn a song fairly quickly just by playing the melody and the changes usually jump out at me. However, I still find it useful to sight read, on occasion.

IMHO, it’s still a viable skill and has served me well. Back in the ‘90s, I got to play a set at a jam night. It was just me, a bassist and a drummer for about an hour. I had a Real Book for tunes I barely knew and that saw me through. It was a dream come true for me; playing nothing but Standards and blowing solos off the top of my head.

pmac11, wabash slim and Henry like this.
  12. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Raised in Massapequa, New York, Setzer began learning guitar as a kid. By the time he was a teenager, he had absorbed his teacher's jazz lessons and loved coloring his assigned songs with jazzy modulations. Though he didn't know it at the time, his learning how to read and write music, as opposed to just playing by ear, would become a key advantage in his eclectic career.
    From
    [​IMG]

new6659 and Henry like this.
  13. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    The recall the last time I was in a guitar shop looking at very pricy guitar. My wife was with me at the time. Her comment was, go ahead but remember it could be part of a divorce settlement.

14. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Canada
    You don't have to shout, I can hear you just fine.

larryb and Charging Charlie like this.
  15. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Gretschie

Oct 14, 2012
    Coggeshall England
    OK darling, if I have got to choose between you and my guitar, there really is no choice. I will stay.

16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    What a good player never says:

"That guy/gal is WAY better than me!!"

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Turn it down, please!

18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Me Too.

19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Lack of reading music hasn't slowed down McCartney any.
    I wish I could read music but I actually learn songs faster and more correctly than any of my music buddies that play strictly by reading.
    There are tons of little subtle things that happen in a performance that just can't be notated. That's what makes every different player unique. I often wonder how much difference there was in the sound of a real Beethoven performance compared to the performances of orchestras of today playing strictly off of the sheet music. We'll never know for sure but I think it would be as different as that of an Elvis or Beatles' imitator as compared to the real thing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    wabash slim likes this.
  20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    So how's your new wife doing?...:D

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice