Sad Gretsch on eBay

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. P2gee

P2gee Electromatic

Dec 19, 2018
    Texas
    Look at that fret board. If this guitar could talk bet it could rip some yarns

5120mantis likes this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Ouch that one is hard to look at. $800???? He’s dreaming

3. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Then I have a pair of late 50's DeArmonds and complete harness with your name on it.

4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Not if those electronics spent some time soaking in water. I agree that the guitar looks like it was a flood victim. Not worth anything to me... RIP.

5. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Oh man, Weather damage, new fret job, new binding, electronics prob need be replaced. dot inlays. I'd offer 25 bucks for the pick up. I'm with LMD. SAD!! This isn't a rescue. It's a complete restoration job. Not worth it when there are so many beautiful brand new Gretsch guitars at a fraction of the cost. Even if it's collectable.

6. DennisC

DennisC Electromatic

May 11, 2017
    Hannover - Germany
    Uh ... she's dead.

Hm, how can a wiring be worth 800 $? Pickups are expensive sometimes, and everything that's old and rare, too, but it's just a few wires, two pots, a capacitor, a jack ... and none of that is likely to work well, or work at all. Even if it is old and rare stuff, sometimes things are just too broken...

new6659 likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It could be a fun (major) project.

8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    All right, ...

You have vintage late 53-58 DeArmonds neck and bridge fully working with a vintage harness from the same period (3 ways switch + 3 pots volume pots 1M or 500k+ 1 stacked tone pot 250/500 and its caps ... all original for $350.

I'm here. I will added $25 for postal, I'm waiting pics and will paypal.

9. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    Maybe the seller meant $80. Just to help with my education -- this guitar in the hands of a skilled luthier and a genius artisan... what would it be worth upon completions (pretty much just to its original splendor)?

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What are the chances it isn't even a Gretsch and just some cheap kit or copy.

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, this one is on Reverb for $2695.95, 1959 model. Cool thing with most vintage Gretschs, they cost right around what a brand new version would cost.

[​IMG]

This 60s version is only $675, so...

[​IMG]

Merc and Bertotti like this.
  12. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    50 years from now though when 2XXX's are selling for $2000+, someone along the line will pick up a road weary Streamliner for $75 and give a shot at their first refinish, or electronics swap and butcher it and try to sell it for $1500. There will be a group of folks just like us, maybe on this same forum, shaking our heads and wondering who would do such a thing to a vintage instrument. And there would be a certain number clamoring for those vintage BroadTrons. The big difference might be the binding has a better chance of still being intact.:D

buchon2111 likes this.
  13. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Really??

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don’t know? That’s why I ask. All I see is a really badly painted water damage and worn out Guitar. What in particular makes these images definitely a Gretsch? I ask because I really don’t know.

15. afire

afire Country Gent

Not to be snarky, but everything but the finish makes it a Gretsch. That and the tuners are the only things deviating from a standard '58 Corvette.

I think realistic price range for one of these in excellent condition would be $1000-$1500 for sunburst and $1500-2000 for ivory/gray.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No worries! I really asked because I didn’t know. I only have one Gretsch and never ever handled another or saw another in person until I got it.

17. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I feel like someone owes me money for just looking at that, might make a good restoration project. But 80 clams seem a bit much

dak55 likes this.
  18. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    concerning tbe purchase potential of this git... I'm gonna quote Dana Carvey doing a George Bush Sr. imitation... "Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent." give this one a pass.

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Some perspective, i picked this up for $1100.00. 20170209_135316.jpg needs a bit of work but......

j.s.c likes this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

Obviously, $1100 was an unusually good deal, but still, whenever I see the asking prices on these single cut Corvettes, my first thought is you could get a Streamliner for about the same money, and they're much more nicely appointed.

j.s.c and wildeman like this.