Roy Clark's Gretsch Super Axe

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by speedicut, Apr 23, 2019.

1. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I saw a few minutes of Hee Haw yesterday and Roy was playing what looked like a (custom?) Super Axe.
    It had the control knobs in the football shape on the lower bout and the ugly pick guard but there were a few things about it that threw me.
    It looked like it had blacktops instead of the PAF looking pups and the neck inlays weren't the little squares...they were curved 'swoops' or something.
    Never saw anything like it, anyone have any info on it?
    It looked cool as heck and Roy, of course, sounded great on it.

2. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    It wasn't this one, unless he swapped the neck and pups

[​IMG]

MKunie likes this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

I think what you saw was a Roy Clarke signature model that never came to fruition. A couple prototypes were made, but that was it.
    Number one had dot inlays, so not the one you saw.
    [​IMG]
    But number two had the little swoosh inlays. Here's Roy playing it:

I think it's a pretty nice looking guitar and wish it had made it to production.

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think I remember hearing about that model, some time ago.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I had the pleasure of doing Hee Haw that first (summer) season. Roy always loved Gibsons, but they stopped giving them to him. Fender kept supplying the Buckaroos. Baldwin was giving me my guitars and amps then and it was easy for Roy to hook up with them. But he said he thought Gretsch was more like Gibson. He finally signed up with Heritage which was a bunch of guys who had worked for Gibson. Funny, he, like me bought our own Banjos, GIBSONS. I still have mine and Grand Pa's Vega. That seems like a million years ago. I still have many original scripts. I had short segments 3 times, they wouldn't let me sing, Roy told me I was a comedian, I told him he was a guitar player.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    [​IMG]

Ah : it's not the same guitar, sorry... :oops:

A+!

7. Calvin Lee 2

Calvin Lee 2 Electromatic

Oct 9, 2017
    New York
    There's very few gretsches that I don't like the look of, but the super axe... let's just say it's not for me. Although that more rounded prototype certainly doesn't look half bad. Does anyone know if that shape was ever used on any guitars other than that prototype?

8. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    That's the one, good find afire!
    I searched everywhere for a peek at it but never found a pic

pilgrim likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Love Roy ....plain and simple

10. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I did too. He went bankrupt 3 times trying to do Hee Haw in Branson, Archie's son Phil who hekp me start the whole thing is still doing it nest to Dollywood up in Tn.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice