Roundwound or Flatwound?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by sh4rkbyt3, Mar 9, 2019.

1. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    I'm going to have to get a set of flats just to try them. I've always been curious about them on my Gretsch. I've tried them on a few other "jazz" guitars and really liked them.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  2. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I really like the tone of flat wound
    However I find it harder to slide up and down the strings, kind of like my fingers are sticking.
    Also the g string being wound doesn’t bend as easily.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  3. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Thomastick makes excellent strings and they last forever. I play their roundwound 11s on my Gretsch 5420 T and my Heritage H555. As I said , they last forever, the tone is crisp with excellent note separation when playing chords and there are no pesky overtones.
    I’ve tried their flats, which are nice also, but my preference is roundwounds.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I regularly brag up TI’s Flats, but I also use their Rounds, which are excellent and all but immortal.

Henry, sh4rkbyt3 and Merc like this.
  5. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I've tried T-I Blues Sliders and didn't care for them! Which really, really surprised me. As much as I love the Jazz Swings... I couldn't get the Blues Sliders off fast enough. I think I tried to keep them on, but, it was about a week and a half and they were gone. I never tried the second set.

I've been digging GHS Burnished Rockers on the couple of guitars I put rounds on.

sh4rkbyt3 and Bertotti like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Very similar to my experience. Thomastik strings are amazing.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have not tried the Blues Sliders but I do use the Bebops and they are great.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  8. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I agree, Bebops are great....that’s all I use on my Hollowbodies for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea, this may seem odd but the TI Jazz Swings and Jazz bebops seem to make me want to play more. It's too bad the name seems to pigeon hole them into a JAzz string role when they are capable of IMHO, any role you want to use them in. I have settled into these the way I settled into the OEM Martin strings on my Acoustic. No desire for anything else. Well except another guitar to put them on! hahahahaaha

sh4rkbyt3 and diamoroso like this.
  10. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I have a like dislike relationship with flats. I didnt much like the daddario chromes, too dead sounding and I thought they had quite a bit too much string tension. The Thomastiks are way better IMHO, like leagues better. I have bepop 12s on a Jazzmaster but I hardly play that guitar. It is a good setup very retro sounding but the combo of 7.25" radius, and 12 gauge strings, albeit I have it tuned to Eb, on a 25.5" radius, and the lack of chime and twang, which I dig so much, makes me hardly play the guitar. I want to do some tracks on a project I keep not having the time for, using that Jazzmaster set up, so I keep on hangimg on to the guitar. I suspect it may prove to be really useful, but I think I'm just a roundwound type of dude addicted to chime and twang! If I put roundwounds on it I have to shim the neck to about 1 degree cause it tends to buzz in the E string too much even with 11's and standard tuning, so it really likes the higher gauge strings, esp. flats with that extra bit of tension.

Btw what's the difference between the Jazz and Bebop Thomastiks?!

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Jazz Swings are a nickel flatwound, BeBops are nickel roundwounds. Both have round cores.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  12. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Ah! So I have the Thomastik jazz swings flats on my Jazzmaster. Thanks for the clarification!

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    My pleasure. :)

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  14. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Totally agreed on the Thomastik being more than just jazz strings. I use them on my Jaguar in an indie rock band that does anything from grungy to surfy to folky. And my tone is incredible...:p

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I like flats cuz they don't squeak as much. I've only use TI Jazz because they seem to be consistently considered the best in as objective terms as possible. I don't like changing strings or experimenting with them. I like them, they last well, and the have nice snappy thud.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice