Round core strings with locking tuners and bigsby

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Darren1982, Aug 15, 2019 at 5:37 PM.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Hi

Has anyone had any problems with round core strings and locking tuners (with Bigsby)

I was looking into Gabriel Tenorio Strings and the website says that they recommend going with hex core.

I have just put on DR Pure blues and no problem but i don't want to make future purchases as i normally buy in bulk. I'm normally a d'addario player but fancied a change. DR's i'm loving!

Gabriel Tenor are expensive but apparently last much longer?!

built2drag1985 likes this.
  2. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Darren1982 likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I really never had any problems with round cores. Never. I use GHS Boomers for everything since decades and they never made me any trouble, regardless of the guitar.

Darren1982 likes this.
  4. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Cool! Thanks! What gauge are you using?

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    010-to 046 on hollows. 009-to 042 on solidbodies.

6. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Use round core pure nickel consistently, with and without locking tuners. In either case, lock/wind the string to pitch BEFORE cutting the string. I've never had a problem with a string coming unwound.

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have not heard that advice before. I have always wound and cut, then tuned to pitch (then stretch, pitch, stretch again, pitch, then usually good). What is your experience that brought you to your current method?

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I never even thought about locking tuners on a guitar. I have always done a locking wrap and rarely get more than a turn and a half on the post. sometimes I don't even get a full turn. If the ends have the cloth ends I do put a dab of super glue on the spot I will cut because I don't like the string unraveling and dangling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice