Rotary Speaker Pedal vs. Univibe ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mudshark, Oct 10, 2018.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Univibe is mixing in one or more duplications of the original signal at different phases so that you get some cancellations and reinforcements. It gives a semi rotary effect to our ears if used right.

Vibrato is a periodic pitch shift applied to the original signal.

Tremolo is a periodic amplitude shift applied to the original signal.

Rotary speaker simulations are most akin to vibrato, but instead of the shift being applied at the same rate, the rate changes of shift changes. And the amount of shift is more subtle, based on the doppler effect. This gives a nice result in stereo since it gives that doppler shift as if going in a circle around you. It still sounds cool in mono, but not like stereo.

Pigtronix makes a good one too.

Here's a really interesting article about Leslie in case anyone is interested:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-rest-hammond-organ-part-2

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Bertotti and Mudshark like this.
  2. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The absolute ticket with any rotary effect is the brake/speed change. Leslie stands out best when you're slowing it down or speeding it up. Any rotary pedal that has the brake feature is at least on the right track. You can give it a tap and cause that speed to ramp up or down and it gets me every time.

For me, it's between the LEX and the Pigtronics Rototron with a nod to the DLS Rotosim. There are also Hammond Leslie pedals that are pretty good too, but I'm not thinking I like the controls they give.

Mudshark likes this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Even better still, IMHO:

I also love the way Buddy is playing the rhythm around the pulsing. Great stuff.

4. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    When I was gigging on a Hammond I gave one of these a hard looking at. Seemed like the way to go as I was also playing bass and had some serious amplification along.

Mudshark likes this.
  5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's pretty cool!

Mudshark likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    T Bone and Mudshark like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was under the impression the neo ventilator was the defacto gold standard pedal. Is it that good?

Mudshark likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I had the DLS Rotosim before I got the Lex.

Mudshark likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks - what was it about the DLS you didn't like or the Lex you liked better?

T Bone and Mudshark like this.
  10. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The controls were easier to use on the Lex and I thought it had a more realistic Leslie sim.

Mudshark likes this.
  11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Coming from someone who had one, that's helpful advice.

There's also the Experimental Noise Spin Cycle which I just discovered and the Pigtronix.

Mudshark likes this.
  12. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    New Pedal Day. Dude in my hometown had a Strymon LEX to sell on Kijiji for a good price (40% of list). Review to follow. - Thanks for all the rotary stories GT.

audept likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I think so.

Mudshark and Bertotti like this.
  14. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great score, good timimg!

15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    My friend Markus is using a genuine Leslie in his rig. You won`t believe how incredibly good this effect sounds. Biggest sound on earth!

Robbie likes this.
  16. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    History: In late 1974 I worked on the sound crew for the Dutch band " Focus" on their Australian tour. Jan Akkerman was an amazing guitarist (and yodeler!) He played through 2 gigantic Yamaha Leslie cabinets with upgraded JBL drivers. The Yamaha version had the HF horns rotating forwards, 90 degrees different from the traditional Leslie horizontal rotation. That was one hell of an interesting tour!

17. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    I am a massive fan of 60s psychedelia! you can hear a leslie speaker in so much stuff from that era of music. i love a leslie speaker, could only dream of owning one. jimi hendrix invented the univibe i think? i use an amp sim in my laptop, i have both a leslie and a univibe to play with, i love both but a leslie sound is hard to beat. so i don't think they sound completely alike, but a univibe is still just as cool. can you afford to buy a leslie speaker? if i could afford a univibe pedal i would not hesitate! good choice my man!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Mudshark likes this.
  18. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    sweet!

Mudshark likes this.
  19. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    Oh man I must be old to remember owning their album in grade 10 high school. The vinyl all but gone but I think the album was called “Hokus Pokus” or the like. I can hear that Leslie swirling in my mind, I think I am strobing now (flashback).

you know adept you should write a memoir (book) of your experiences working in the music trenches for posterity, it will never be like that again...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    audept likes this.
  20. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I would only write the book if I could tell the whole truth. I don't wish to spend my remaining time in a witness protection program! :eek::eek:

Mudshark likes this.