Rotary Speaker Pedal vs. Univibe ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mudshark, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    Hi GT-gang:

Although I stick to mostly reverb and delay for guitar effects I am intrigued by the rotary speaker sound such like the (Strymon LEX). Is this leslie vibrato the same as a “univibe” ? Or is that a tremolo effect?

Howard hughes likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think they are all 3 different things, rotary vs vibrato/trem vs univibe. Univibe was intended to sound like a rotating leslie speaker, but didn't hit the mark. I understand that a univibe is a form of phaser.

Mudshark likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Four different things right? Vibrato and Tremolo are not the same. Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Henry and Mudshark like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    ..that use light dependent resistors around a glowing (then not glowing) lamp. Love Univibes..

Mudshark likes this.
  5. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    yes tremolo is a modulation in attenuation or volume, vibrato is a modulation in frequency, non?

Bertotti and Henry like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Boss RT-20. Does a great stereo rotary effect, and also does a Univibe for guitar as well. You'll never get a real rotary sound out of a box unless it's 4' tall and says Leslie on it. Then, you'll have to figure out how to mike it properly.

Floo and Mudshark like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well yes, but no in the context of OP. Yes they are different things , but the terms are mixed up in usage. No because OP was really talking about vibrato, not trem, and I added /trem since that is a common (inaccurate) nomenclature.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have a couple different rotary effects. One is a Donner multi pedal. The other is the Roctary pedal. I had the Boss RT20 this year and couldnt sell it fast enough. Maybe it was just too complex interactive for me. But I got a ton of distortion in the mix with it.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This one does a bit of all that, i like it alot. 1539214390947-489736324.jpg

Mudshark likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have tried a few Leslie simulator pedals, but settled on the Strymon Lex as my favorite. The Keeley DynoMyRoto is a great pedal, too.

Mudshark likes this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those are great pedals. It's hard to simulate a mechanical thing like a Leslie.

Mudshark likes this.
  12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I own a Neo Ventilator Leslie sim, and it nails the sound. The EHX Lester does good, too.

Stonepicking and Mudshark like this.
  13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's nigh impossible. Even if you could duplicate the oppositely revolving horn and drum, you'll never get it miked to where it sounds like it does in real life.

Mudshark and wildeman like this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, i've got to play through a real Leslie like two or three times in my life though.

Mudshark likes this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    A true doppler effect requires a rotating speaker, and its amazing! ...but I really liked what my Lex did as an emulator and it did not villainize my tone like my EHX Lester did. Both are closer to an actual rotating speaker/doppler emulation than the univibe variety. The univibe is an early emulator but more a multistage phasor than anything else, utilizing a photocell. Strange enough I have a little first release DOD phasor 201, that I've tweeked and its such a grand little effect giving me a watery fender vibratone sound on stage. I'll take the Fulltone Dejavibe over it, ear to ear in the clear but w a band around the phasor 201 cuts better especially w overdrives after it. I've had a very large variety of these things, even weirdo stuff like the fender licensed teisco oil can delay that doesnt seem to have much to do w delay and more like warbly vibrato :)

I'm surprised this video is still around but its a great low rent example of the strymon LEX in mono mode, stereo is even better. Still, its very hard for these doppler emulation pedals to cut through the mix because as the zero phase point nears, the original guitar signal's low end is buried that youre better off w the more eloquent phasor variety that keep an intelligent mix of dry guitar in the signal.

Howard hughes and Mudshark like this.
  16. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've never seen many supposed "sound guys" who actually milked a Leslie correctly. Jamming a single mike close to the HF horn is wrong. Best I've seen is with at least two stereo mike pairs in a room by itself. As a 122 or 145 Leslie is only 40 watts, they need to be miked---but done properly. The room and placement of the cabinet make a huge difference as well. Considering the basic B came out in the 1930s (and the Leslie soon after) says a lot to the longevity of the rig. The Leslie and piano/electric piano are the two most common rock and roll keyboards. Hohner clavs are another, as are synths, but neither is as obvious to most folks as the two main keyboard instruments.

I went with a Korg BX-2 as I'm not gigging anymore. It's 1/10 the weight and 1/10 the cost of a B-3 and a 122 Leslie. It may not be "as" good, but it's not bad. The RT-20 does give a decent stereo feed so the effect is usable.

Tavo is right that a Leslie is an amazing device. Aside from organs think of Clapton's guitar sound in "Badge". I've also heard pedal steel thru a Leslie and it was memorable.

Mudshark likes this.
  17. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    My brother-in-law is a Hammond player and has tried all manner of rotating effect devices, but he always goes back to the Leslie -- says nothing else really gets it right.

wabash slim likes this.
  18. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Mudshark, you are still in Alberta?

19. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Electromatic

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    I use a vibe unit and a chorus on my board. As has been said the vibe is great for those nice Throbby, chewy phaser sounds, my chorus I use mainly to get a faux rotary sound, which works surprisingly well for that. It's a small clone clone made by Longamp. He's a little one man outfit in Poland. It's basically a really good quality small clone with two control knobs rather than the speed selector switch on the original. I have considered something like a lex or mini vent but it's good enough for me. He also makes a great clone of the electric mistress, thats on the list too.

20. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    A great under the radar pedal that does a great rotary speaker AND univibe is the Digitech Ventura. The Lex, which I have also owned, is fantastic, but it's weakness in a setup for me personally is that you have to run it parallel if you want any kind of blend with the dry signal. The Ventura stays on my board for versatility and it cuts through great live. Its weakness is you have to press and hold the footswitch for ramping up the speed, but that's a small thing.