Rosin Your Floating Bridge Fix

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by rcboals, Jan 25, 2014.

1. criscpl

criscpl Newbie

Feb 14, 2020
    MI
    Be aware that rosin will eat through the guitar finish over time and should be used as a temporary fix. The bridge feet should fit the arch top perfectly snug with no gaps. A proper bridge setup will minimize the movement.

Oh, I play the violin and I know what rosin can do to the varnish over time. I also know that when it comes to “floating bridges”, the ideal fit of the bridge feet is crucial to intonation.

nickosonic likes this.
  2. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Safe to assume the above does not apply to a poly finish?

3. SASouth

SASouth Gretschie

Dec 19, 2011
    Ohio
    Poly and even nitro aren’t the same thing as violin varnish. I’ve been using rosin for years on bridges on all kinds of guitar finishes both poly and nitro and have never experienced any damage to the finish. These includes pro line Gretsches and Gibson arch tops such as my Brydland and the White Falcon I used to own.

audept likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My experience, too.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It’s all relative. I think someone’s personal hygienic discipline might be more detrimental to varnish than any rosin on earth, including the ones spiked with exotic particles. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice