Roots Rock Guitars, what would you use?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Aug 16, 2019.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Yes, it is because I'm auditioning pedals as I am totally rethinking the board and it is much easier to swap pedals like that. However I am thinking about leaving it on top if I have the room, because one time the board went tit$ up right before a recording session and it was a pain to trouble shoot with the power under the board.

2. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I have a few strats but I need more bridge horsepower and snarl for this thing, I think that a strat will be too polite sounding.

new6659 likes this.
  3. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Plenty. Yet not much low and mid loss, like you would get with say a strat pickup. Not as punchy, middy, and growly as say a good P90, mids not as pronounced but still present. They are beefy full freq single coils with plenty of top end, but smoother and less spikey top end cut than say a typical tele bridge pickup.
    Don’t know how long I’ll keep em in tho. I have a pair of Gretsch Filters I’m thinking about putting in because I kinda miss the filtertron grit and growl. However I have 2 other Filtertron equipped guitars, a 5120 with blacktops and my Falcon has TV Classics. So I’ll probably keep the dynas in the Pro Jet. It’s a nice alternative to a tele or Strat. It’s kinda like an almost tele or strat sound with an LP like playing feel. My tele has Wilde/Lawrence blades in it so it’s even more full frequency/hifi and modern sounding. My only Strats are a couple of cheap Squiers with marginal ceramic pickups that I’m not crazy about so I rarely play them. The only sound I really care for in a strat is the front pickup rhythm sound anyway, and the L45 in my tele or the front dyna in the ProJet comes close to a good strat front pickup sound to my ear anyway.
    In your case of a P90 LP and a classic tele, I’d probably use both if I owned em. The P90s for a bluesier vibe and the tele for the country side of rockabilly. Although I could get by with either exclusively. If I used one more than the other I t would prob come down ultimately to weight and neck feel, and how they interacted with my pedals and amp.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  4. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    The ultimate alt/surf, alt county machine, lol. I’ll prob get rid of it tho because I’ve never been able to get used to the flat and wide thin front to back, shredder type neck carve and radius. It gives me hand cramps playing rhythm for any length of time. Great for single string leads tho. These Epi humbuckers actually sound very good, not muddy at all, and are the reason I bought the thing in the first place. If I ever get a classic county gig at a VFW, this is the guitar I’d bring:)
    6B1FDDC1-883A-4722-832E-2A0F64FFB1E9.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep! Jets rock

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Fwiw, Link played a goldtop just like yours on Rumble.

RocknRollShakeUp and Floo like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Duncan Twangbanger!

8. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Aha, so those are the Filter sized units/routs. Cool stuff. Great descriptions thank you. I have a Player's Edition Black Falcon and I like the Setzers I put in there, but sometimes I want more chime, shimmer and clarity out of the bridge, so I always flirt with the idea that I should put TArmonds in there...or maybe even just a TV Classic. But I was really close to getting a Duo Jet, but I got sidetracked and bought another guitar. One of these days though I definitely need to get a Jet.
    Good advice too. Thanks.

9. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    For the longest time I just thought those were hideous...and then slowly...it started to happen...I started digging them big time! Same with V's, but I like the Explorers and V's that are authentic Retro looking, like yours, not those Metal abominations. Very cool guitar and I love that Bigsby on there too!

But as you know true PAF style pickups are dry, bright and chirpy sounding, so they are totally up to the task of playing clean tones. I actually have a Historic Ebony R7 with slightly underwound Custombuckers with AIII magnets and it would totally be up to the task as well.

10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Oh man I didn't know that..you just made my day!

11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Actually I do have a Partscaster Strat that is out of State right now and I have a Twangbanger in there! I haven't played it in a while but I remember really digging it. I need to get that guitar, or at least take the pick guard off so I can use that Twangbanger. I think what I'd do to it is take it off the tone pot though as I remember that wiring it to the tone pot tamed it a bit too much..or better yet get a no load pot in there. But yeah, the twangbanger, I think it is a bit under appreciated no?

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2019-08-18-13-57-28-1.png Screenshot_2019-08-18-13-58-14-1.png

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah man, never wire the back strat pickup to a tone pot.

14. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Actually the original pups were the mini Gretchbuckers. I chose the filter size and mount from TVJ for the T Armonds which is what TVJ recommended. Routes were Close to filter size but not quite due to top mount vs body screws. Had to dig the cavities out to be slightly deeper to fit the T Armonds but now Filtertrons should drop right in.

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those mini hum Jets are great mod guitars, mine started as one too.

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm no stranger to human traits.

17. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I agree. Tele or Gretsch.

As for your pedalboard, you've got some nice boxes! I'd highly recommend some kind of looping box or switching system. Even something as straight forward as a GigRig QuarterMaster to place pedal selection in the convenient spot while also isolating unused pedals will make selecting pedals easier and improve your tone greatly.
    Also, make sure your power provides isolated power to each pedal.

Good luck on your tone quest!

[​IMG]

18. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
  19. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    The typical thin Strat pickups I have to wire to the first tone pot cause my usable bridge tone in the bridge is with the tone running at like 6-7! Or else ice picks! But that twangbanger can do without it would seem! I think a no load pot shall be tried.

20. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thanks for explaining...I had no idea Gretsch minibuckers existed!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice