Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks. Levon Helm.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by swivel, Jul 9, 2019.

1. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    B
    Very early tamed down color performance of 50’s rocker/rockabilly wild man Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks from 1960 with Levon Helm (Later The Band) on drums. Ronnie Hawkins does the first “Moonwalk” at about 1:20. Will "pop" Jones on piano; Jimmy Ray Paulman on Gretsch guitar. Pop Jones would beat the piano so hard at times he would break the hammers to club owner's dismay. Hawkins did back flips on stage regularly.

reverb11, Pop1655, section2 and 7 others like this.
  2. Thanks for posting. Moon walk and all!

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I lost my head sentence in my first post :
    Been reading Levon Helm's book "This Wheel's on Fire". I bought it for a buck in a book store. It's very good... not because it is about The Band (I guess eventually) but that whole history of playing around the country in the early days of Rock and Roll... before Elvis even. The Hawk, Conway Twitty, Elvis. Clubs, dirty business, not getting paid, Gangster owned clubs, taking on players who need to learn on the job. (Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson both in that position!)
    I can relate a lot to this being old. My first gig was near the Canadian Border, my guitar teacher took me to play a club on a Sunday gig. The Canadians weren't allowed to sell liquor on Sunday so they flooded across the border to party in the US. Packed dance hall in the middle of nowhere. I was about 14 years old. Had to stay on the bandstand at intermission, or go outside.

RomanS, section2, Gregor and 4 others like this.
  4. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Pretty much "The Band" at this point in '61 . From left to right (Jerry Penfound?), Richard Danko (bass), Levon Helm (drums vocals, mandolin), Richard Manuel (Piano,Vocals), Garth Hudson (Keybaords, Sax), Robbie Robertson

5. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY

I read that book a few years ago, I love reading those humble beginnings stories.

section2, Charlie westside and swivel like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    MJ stoke only popularized the moonwalk... mind blown. I had to hit rewind a few times as I didn’t believe it.

Charlie westside and audept like this.
  7. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Incredible. I would have never known. They were amazing. Moonwalk!!!
    wow!!! True pioneers in all respects.
    MJ capitalized on the moonwalk.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Merc and audept like this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    MJ was happy to let everyone think that he invented the moonwalk. Looks like he was guilty of plagiarism as well as his other more serious crimes.

Gregor, Robbie, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  9. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    He didn't Dance "Authentic' lol.

loudnlousy and Merc like this.
  10. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Obviously MJ did not invent the moonwalk and his story about observing children in the street as an inspiration is a joke.
    Neither Ronnie Hawkins (but he never claimed he had)
    Seems like moonwalk is as old as showbiz. There are videos of Cab Calloway from the 30s, Charlie Chaplin does some in Modern Times. That was also tried in France by Jean Louis Barrault and Marcel Marceau in the 40s.

My guess: it was invented by paleolithic hunters as a great way to accustom a rabbit or a deer to that move towards him which does not actually means danger. And then you can start actually walking towards him...

Charlie westside likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Wild stuff. Thank you for posting.

section2 and Charlie westside like this.
  12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yep, that's sax player Jerry Penfound on the left.

swivel likes this.
  13. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Good read. Thanks. Time to watch Last Waltz again.

14. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    The great Ronnie Hawkins... Saw a birthday gig video with him, Jerry Lee Lewis and Jeff Healy... Rock and roll!

15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins! He lives about one hour away from me. One of my life markers was sitting in his living room with him, drinking his liquor. Cool guy!

swivel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice