Roller Bridge recommendation

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Beacher, Sep 25, 2019.

1. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    I've got the same bridge. I will say that aside from its good looks, its the most comfortable bridge ever as it has no sharp edges, everything is rounded off. I do have two complaints though. The bridge is a ***** to intonate as the saddles don't easily move forward or backward, the have to be removed, replaces and tightened down. That said, you should only have to intonate once, so not a big deal. The bigger issue was that there is simply too much play between the actual rollers and the saddle. When finger picking I could actually feel and hear them moving. Again, this was remedied by using a vice to squeeze the saddles ever so slightly to close up the gap. I love the bridge now, but it was anything but plug and play for me.

hcsterg likes this.
  2. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    I’ve had none of the above mentioned issues. The saddles don’t have to be removed to adjust. Just slightly loose the screws, push saddles forwards or backwards, tighten the screws. Really easy. Also, all mine have been nice and tight. No rattling. There are cheaper unbranded copies on eBay but you’ll pay 20-30 for a branded version from a USA seller.

3. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    Good stuff all around ... thanks for keeping the thread alive .... I am "waiting on parts" will update when they are installed.

4. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    Just wanted to update on this thread I started ....

BiggsFix just installed today along with a Reverend Soft spring. HUGE difference. Tuning issues MUCH improved when using the Bigs and the trem is much more responsive with the soft spring. My jury is still out on the bridge. I am pretty sure I will be changing out the Adjusto-Matic to most likely either an ABM2400 roller or a Serpentune bar? I am also considering locking tuners. So much fun upgrading guitars.

Can anyone recommend a curved jack plate source for this guitar (G2655T). So totally don't understand why this wasn't done at the factory? Nobody's going to break the "margin bank" to add this item to a guitar at manufacture?

Lastly .... and I know this may vary in opinion and playing style ... most common string gauge for happiness on theses Bigsby Streamliners without nut surgery (other than lubrication)? I am thinking of going 10's which would be better for me than 11's. Wound or flat? Perhaps I need a new thread for that although I believe it has been discussed on this forum so maybe I should just search it out ... lol.

section2 likes this.
  5. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Wilkinson or Serpentune. I've had good experience with both. The only time I noticed a difference in timbre, though, is when I had a Tru-Arc bar bridge on my now-sold 5129. Acoustically, the sound was more metallic, but in a pleasing way. I don't know that it ever came through the amp though.

6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Two further thinks are important regarding tuning stability:

1. When not using a roller bridge, the bridge needs to be able to rock back and forth, when using the Bigsby.
    2. Most often the nut is causing tuning instability with Bigsby use, be it the bridge material (!) or the slots being not filed precise enough. Best nuts in my opinion are bone or Tusq.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    MTurner and hcsterg like this.
  7. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Re: Jackplate
    Any metal jackplate can be easily curved to match the radius of your guitar. I’ve installed plates on several guitars and have needed to fine tune the curvature of the plates to match my guitar bodies on all of them.

8. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    Just double checking ... is the ABM2400 a complete drop fit onto the Adjusto-Matic posts of the G2655T ... ??? No surgery required? Pulloff/put on, adjust saddles for intonation, play guitar?

9. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    On my Panther it was a direct fit, but on a Streamliner the upper part of the bridge posts is thicker. It‘s like Gibson versus Epiphone, when we compare Prolines to Non-Proline Gretsches regarding „metrics“. Contact ABM for fitting posts.

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM...ges/ABM-2400c-RO-Chrome::146.html?language=en

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/Support:_:202.html

PS: I guess you will need these posts:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM...omatic/4mm-to-M8/ABM-2548c-L-Chrome::297.html

10. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    Does the G2655T have M8 Bushings??

Again .... has anyone put a ABM2400 on a G2655T

11. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    Just trying to wrap my head around all the "specs" for a roller bridge replacement. New to this so it's a learning curve.

First ... trying to get all the specs for my Gretsch G2655T. Would anyone like to clarify?

1) Neck Radius - 12" from Gretsch Spec site.
    2) String Spread ?
    3) Post Spacing ?
    4) Post Thread ? ... is this the same as the Bushing Mx spec ... like M8 for example?
    5) Bushing Spec ?

Assuming these are the 5 things I need to match for the correct (hopefully) drop fit replacement bridge?

The ABM2400 is the right radius but needs replacement/adaptor posts. There is a replacement post set called ABM-2548c-L which would work IF the Bushing is an M8? ABM Parts customer support did not know the bushing size on the G2655T but said IF the bushing size was M8 then these adaptor posts would work. Assuming post spacing is correct for the ABM2400 as they did not say it wouldn't fit.

Has anyone tried the Tone-Pro TPR6 roller bridge from Stew-Mac? It has a 12" radius.

Apparently the Wilkinson roller bridge is 14" radius ??

Thanks for bearing with me on all this.

12. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    TonePros bridges are good quality, but dye cast steel, so they sound different than a brass ABM. I was quite satisfied with a TonePros ABR-II on my Epi Les Paul.

13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    You might not need to splash out for a roller bridge. I've always felt that roller bridges were unnecessary as long as the Bigsby and the nut are in good shape.

I had a 2655 with a Bigsby B3 and a Towner Down Tension Bar added on, and I had no tuning issues. I'd bet you'll have the same experience with your 2655 now that you've got the BiggsFix installed.

If you're still experiencing tuning stability problems, check the nut first to ensure that the slots are properly cut, and use a good locking wrap when you string up the guitar. I'd be surprised if you still had any tuning problems after that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice