Roller Bridge recommendation

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Beacher, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    New to this great forum.

Just purchased a G2655T. My first Gretsch.

Looking to put a drop fit roller bridge on ... recommendations?

Ordered the Reverend soft spring for the Bigs ... they also have a roller bridge. Not sure if it is a 100% drop fit though?

Thank you.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the madhouse!
    Get a Tru-Arc Serpentune instead. One piece, no tiny little pieces to rattle.

RomanS and Aymara like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome! ABM 2400 roller, it never rattles and sounds just like a brass bar bridge.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend , good luck with the hunt

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    ABM2400, not cheap and unless ya get lucky you must order it from Europe. The Europe thing is actually very easy.

542FD38B-3081-4533-AE73-AEB36A5F05C9.jpeg

BorderRadio and stevo like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Beacher!

Congrats on the new geet!

7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, I also recommend the ABM if you really want the roller. I find it works great on the shorter scale length of the 6128 that I have - much better intonation. It's solid and sounds really good, you won't know it's a roller. Great sustain, no modification required.

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Welcome.
    That roller bridge is totally o.k. imho.

9. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was not aware of the Tru-Arc Serpentune before. Looks very interesting. Will consider for sure.

I had seen the ABM 24oo roller. Do you have to order that from Germany??

Have either of you done the Bigsfix mod to the B5?

10. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    I am not stuck on the roller bridge necessarily but I do like the idea of having the individual saddles adjustable for intonation, however, the Tru-Arc is intriguing. I am finding at the moment with the stock G2655T that the tuning is not stable if I use the Bigs. If I really push the trem arm down I can actually visually see the entire bridge rock slightly which can't be good. So reducing that friction on the saddles would seem to be prudent. Roller bridge, Tru-Arc, as well as possibly the Biggsfix? Just looking at the options and thanks so much for the feedback (no pun intended) from the members above.

ElGordo likes this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Order from Thomann, pretty quick service really unless customs takes an interest in the package, that can add a number of days to the shipment time.

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For a cheaper alternative to the (costy but good) ABM 2400C and the SerpenTune (I have both), there's the Thomann Göldo HW05C (I have two, below) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At less than 40€ at thomann.de, they are a good bargain, reliable and silent.

A+!

13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I have the ABM2400 and is a great bridge and expensive. I also have a Rev roller on my PA1 and it works very well, no rattle, about $25

14. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Welcome to the group Beacher.

15. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    HCSterg ... could you talk a bit about the difference(s) between the roller bridge and the Serpentune? Does the Serpentune articulate the intonation properly? I would think theoretically that the rollers offer less friction although it may be a moot point between the two? Has anyone done the Biggsfix? Just wondering if it is worthwhile ?? Thanks for all the feedback (partial pun intended). Seems like the ABM2400C and the Serpentune are the leaders in the pack for preference more or less? The Thomann site also compares a number of other bridge options. Now I am getting dizzy .... lol.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think just about any bar bridge needs to be a floating bridge or the new 'adjustable' pinned bridges that Gretsch is now putting out.

If you have studded bridges posts, I go with either a good TOM style bridge (ABM/Callaham) or get the D-Bridge.

17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes @Beacher !

Sorry for the pics : my hosting pic provider has become unreliable - I'll have to change it once again... :mad:

Here's the SerpenTune I have :

[​IMG]

It's a custom order, Lefty, low-profile one, stainless steel.
    Costy (think 200USD delivered) and 6 month waiting.
    Excellent product : perfect intonation on a 24"3/4 scale and 10-52 strings.

Well, actually, I'd say that all this is more or less a combination of friction, rolling, rocking... That compensate each other with more or less fortune ! :D

From my personal experience :

Yes, a roller bridge will provide less friction than a TOM. I never had good results with TOM and Bigsby. That said, a poor quality roller bridge can show rollers that won't always roll correctly.

The ABM2400C is premium - but I wonder if the low-E roller slot is large enough for 52 or 54 o_O. The Göldo HW05C has large Vee brass rollers and works perfecty without noise and any string gauge. The Vanson Guitars is a generic chinese roller but the quality is correct.

Not all roller bridges are equal and it varies from a sample to another one. I had some TonePros roller bridges that were full of backlash and needed glueing to reduce it.

My Gretsch Rocking Bar Bridges - hence their names - "rocks" a little on their bases. So does my Tru-Arc SerpenTune bridge.

Yes. Me. I strongly recommend it on B5 and B7 Bigsby. The BBF front roller have bearings instead of brass sleeves and this makes a great difference in tuning offset. All my B5 and B7 have one.

Also consider the nut : it's the 1st cause of binding on trem guitar...

A+!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    section2 and ElGordo like this.
  18. Beacher

Beacher Electromatic

Sep 25, 2019
    West Coast Canada
    Great info thanks. The more I research the more I find the "science of the bridge" to be fascinating especially with respect to the Biggs. This is my first Biggs guitar. My Ibanez Floyd Rose is like butter by comparison but obviously it is apples to oranges. I bought the Gretsch (my first) primarily for the tone for my fingerstyle boom chick tunes. Nothing seems to beat the Gretsch for that. Also, I love the thin body profile of this Streamliner. A perfect fit for me. Like you guys, I also like to mod things so this little experiment, although a steep learning curve, is also an enjoyable one. I am going to grab a BiggsFix for sure. Still debating on the bridge option but the ABM2400C is in the slight lead at the moment. All of the upper level options seem to be relatively in the same price ballpark.

ElGordo likes this.
  19. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    Highly recommend this one from Wilkinson
    I’ve put one on 4 guitars and all 4 worked perfectly and have no tuning issues when combined with a good nut job. Tried the one from Reverend first and it killed the tone. This one actually improves tone to my ear. One B50, a B70, a B7, and a Jazzmaster. C202C95A-70EF-4717-99AF-F2444429A31E.jpeg

hcsterg likes this.
  20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I have the ABM2400 on my Panther and love it.

Downside is, that it is only available in brass and finished in chrome or gold. The Serpentune has the advantage, that it is also available in other metals like steel or aluminum. Brass has the warmest tone, which might be too warm / boomy on large bodies ... but it also depends on the pickups and string choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice