Roland Cube love.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by wildeman, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    thanks brother! any good?

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Broken! Dunno:D

Howard hughes likes this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The old Cubes are wonderful amps. I have a modest collection of them - an orange Cube 60, 40 and a 20, and Cube 60 Chorus and a Super Cube 40. I'm working on a Cube 100 now but always looking for them. They are inexpensive and sound great. Did a gig with my Cube 60 last week and it sounded terrific.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah it is a Roland thread and to be kind I've played the Pathfinder also and as SS amps go I'm not impressed. All the Roland amps totally poo on it imo :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    This black Cube Street EX is also the best in it's class.
    2nd place goes to the earlier red Cube Street.
    They also do good job as acoustic guitar or keyboard amps :)

[​IMG]

6. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I've had a string of valve amps but must say the BC Hot is a great sounding amp and feels a lot like a valve amp.

I will try the stage whenever I get the chance and would really like the Artist model when back in fixed accommodation again.

pmac11, Waxhead and radd like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah man they're always on my radar too. This one kinda fell in my lap, i did some trading at my local and still had credit left so i looked round and there it was.

8. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    How fortuitous. I've been looking at these. I have a line on an Orange Roland 60 Cube. Hopefully I'll pick it up this week.

wildeman likes this.
  9. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Bought a used Cube 30 for a practice amp. Just had to replace the bottom moulding that was cracked on both sides from some rough treatment I'm guessing, but everything works great.... a solid build apparently. I have to keep the volume at the lowest setting in my practice area but some day when the wife is out I'll crank it up. I'm sure it would suit a small room gig ie pub, etc.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I bought one for my daughter some years ago : not amazing. She sold it like new and went for a Roland MicroCube.

The MicroCube is one of the best amp for having a home Surf Sound...

A+!

Howard hughes likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have tried out the Artist and Stage - both good and a touch better than the old Cube 60 and 80. Problem they have in Aust is they are just way too expensive.

In Aust the Artist is around $1500 and you can get a good tube amp cheaper than that. While Roland make the best SS amps imo they still don't compare to a good tube amp and you can't gig with any Cube under 60w.

The old Cube 60 and 80 are still the best value for $$ imo. You can pick up used one's cheap and the new Artist & Stage really only sound slightly better :)

12. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    yeah i guess ill just stick with the cube of wonderment!

13. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I hear you, however, I think I'm over tubes (cost and inherent hassles) .

Muso's corner have the Artist for $1239 and any tube amp I would want is at least 6 - 800 dearer and honestly the Roland will do everything I want and then some.

wildeman likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was impressed with the few I've come across. I know Roland more for their excellent keyboards.

Then, there's that headless Thompson gunner.

pmac11 and wildeman like this.
  15. JParry335

JParry335 Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have a Cube 60 that I bought a long time ago intending to use it for mainly jazz stuff, but it's proven so versatile that I use it quite a bit.
    I've always been a Fender amp guy, having a '70 Silver Face Deluxe Reverb as my number one for many years. Also have a '69 Drip Edge Bassman head I play through a Marshall 4x10 cabinet.
    Once I got into using Reaper and recording, I found I was getting the best results from the Roland!
    A while back I was doing some smooth jazz.
    Here's an example of a track that has always been one of my personal favorites for whatever that's worth to anyone else. I did have a gent on one of the other forums tell me that someone had posted my track on the Dumble forum as an example of being able to get very close to the Dumble tone with a solid state amp and a RAT pedal.
    https://soundcloud.com/jparry335/smooth-jazz-c-major-es-335

And, I used to have a Micro Cube but gave it to a buddy of mine that needed an amp.
    Someday I'll get another one. They're a lot of fun.
    Here's a clip using the Rectifier setting from my YouTube channel.

collama likes this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm with you, i LOVE me some fine old tube amps but out of the new production tube amps the Blues Cube is a serious contender in my book. If you have experience with all sorts of amps i think you can come up with a valuable and unbiased opinion, i think too much internet talk is inexperienced jive........" man, i had a Crate when i started out, a year later i got a Marshall, it rules and solid state amps suck!"

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I personally think the Blues Cube Stage and Artist are amazing sounding amps. They are not cheap but it takes almost nothing to get great tones out of them.

I may at some point get another tube amp, but my Stage is doing great right now by me.

pmac11 and Gretschmen65 like this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok you're in Newcastle area.
    I'm from Merewether Bch :)

I've never had hassles with tube amps and had more repairs with SS amps actually. You can buy many used tube amps in Aust on Ebay or Gumtree for lots less than A$1240.

a few yrs ago I bought an excellent new Egnater Rebel 30 from the USA and had it shipped to Aust in 10 days for under A$1000. It's got both 120v and 240v switching so you can plug straight into our wall sockets.

It's a really great, versatile and light amp, comes in combo and head. It's much better than any solid state amp imo and I never had any issues with it.

I kept it for 3 yrs then sold it on Ebay for what it cost me.
    Go the Roland if you really like it but just pointing out there's lots of great tube amp options if you look past Fender and Vox :)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rebel30MkII--egnater-rebel-30-mkii-30-watt-tube-head

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  19. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I use a Roland street cube. It’s a good amp for this gig because you can put a guitar and a mic through it at once, it’s loud enough, the batteries last a long time and it’s durable as can be

65EC20D2-8E8C-44D3-8499-D23006242388.jpeg DAEC66AF-E875-411A-993D-3B34A7659343.png BF11AC99-1CED-450A-84E4-49AB0FE85F26.jpeg

JParry335 and Waxhead like this.
  20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Have you tried your Brain through that?

JParry335 and nickurso like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice