Roland Cube love.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by wildeman, Feb 10, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This is my second old Cube, my first (Cube 60 chorus) is in semi-retirement needind a cap job. This one is a Cube 20 with an 8" speaker 20190210_133952.jpg , yes 20w can totally make this speaker fart out but at about 4 with the master cranked this is a killer sounding little amp and when these two pedals are added 20190210_134245.jpg .....I'd put it up against any high dollar little Valco amp.
    When you hear about "good pedal platform" amp, these Cubes are what i imagine, they are pretty good on their own but if you have some nice pedals they go next level. Absolute bargains, this was marked at 100 bux and i got my 60 for 75 bux at a thrift.
    The Cube 60 has a big magnet 12" in it and sends Deluxe Reverbs running for cover.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sorry pix suck but i damaged my lens.
    That's a Supro Drive and a Malekko Spring Chicken reverb.

Howard hughes and Merc like this.
  3. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I'd forgotten that they went back so far. The cubes been a stalwart of pub rock bands for many moons and many of us have one of them knocking around. Plus....I'm ducking here...they they're a lot more handy at home than a classic 5w boooteek valve amp

4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That Roland make some good stuff .... just ask my JC-40 . Had a Roland Micro Cube once too , neat little amp . Enjoy your new cube and have fun

Howard hughes, pmac11 and emitex like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, I think nothing of throwing them into the back of a pickup and going, my tube amps worry me every time. I do have some nice tubers though, as do you, but these definitely have a place in my stash.

Howard hughes likes this.
  6. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I'm definitely curious about that early cube model.. when I said we all have them, I was referring to the more modern models, hope that didn't sound bad. I think you've found a hidden gem there

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I got you. Yes these are quite different than the newer ones, these are analog. The old Blues Cube was also real nice, the one i had was 75w with 3x10" speakers and weighed a ton but sounded great.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's mine - I like it and it still poos on almost all other SS amps but it's no competitor for a good tube amp imo :)

[​IMG]

Howard hughes and JParry335 like this.
  9. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I've done a few gigs lately with one or other of my Cubes -- either the 40 (which I initially bought as a home practice amp) or an old Cube 60. I'll normally take one or other along to gigs as a spare amp anyway, but the Cube 60 is just so damn handy -- it just about lives permanently in the boot (trunk) of the car these days. I must say that when cranked I think it sounds better with PAFs, P90s or Filtertrons rather than a Strat or a Tele, which can both sounds a bit shrill and sort of 'chrome plated' to me -- just my ears I suppose. Still, we have two gigs coming up this week and I'll leave the Traynor and Fender tube amps at home and just take the old Cube 60, along with the Gretsch Double Jet and the Les Paul with P90s.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Howard hughes, JParry335 and Waxhead like this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sweet old cube. Roland has a long history of fantastic solid state amps, and now you've got two!
    The old orange clad 40s and 60s pop up on my local kijiji now and then but I've never pulled the trigger. Maybe next time.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I agree :)
    Cube 60 is my back up.
    I don't use anything but it's clean channel & reverb.

It's pedal friendly so running overdrives into it's clean channel delivers reasonable tones for home use, band practice. As a back up at gigs it gets me thru ok. I also used it for a few years in a jazz band.

Howard hughes and wildeman like this.
  12. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have an old cube 30x and a stunning Blues Cube Stage

37941CFD-7639-4949-9CD4-B5DDD43FFFE5.jpeg

13. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    I love em! what more can i say? they sounds pretty damn good, i am very tempted to buy a vox pathfinder 10 at the moment though, anyone got one? from what i have heard the clean is lovely with nice bottom end. 81Rm-p-uFAL._SX355_.jpg

pmac11 likes this.
  14. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    This thread is about Roland Cubes.

I,m currently and for the foreseeable future travelling and living full time in our RV. The Blues Cube Hot (30 watts) is my amp of choice for the road at this time.
    Fits just great, runs 1/2, 5 15 and 30 watts and when a supplied backline is not there it does everything I need. 20190211_135715.jpg

Howard hughes and Waxhead like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Right on, i need to open up my 60 and order the caps it needs, i miss it.

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It even matches your seats.

new6659 and Howard hughes like this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have an ill pathfinder15 I'd give you but im in California.

pmac11 and Howard hughes like this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have yet to try one of the new Blues Cubes.

radd and Howard hughes like this.
  19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    There's an old Cube 40 keyboard amp for super cheap on my local CL i'm lookin at. From what i can tell the only difference is the speaker, its got a whizzer and the others have a metal cap like a JBL.

pmac11 and Howard hughes like this.
  20. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    I have a newer 20 watt Cube that all the amp sims are for metal but I only use the Jazz Clean setting.
    I also have the battery operated micro cube.
    The one I am most amazed by is my 20 w Bass Cube. The amp sims are special, even with my Amoon JB. Another good thing is that they are cheap as dirt.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Howard hughes and Waxhead like this.