Roland Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by sh4rkbyt3, Mar 22, 2019.

1. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Just looking for some advice from current and past Roland amp users. Specifically the Jazz Chorus series. I'd like to be able to get that stereo effect sound but with something smaller than a JC120. I know there are other smaller models but I've read there is quite a difference in the actual stereo sound output from each size.
    Would it be possible to find one that would work as a practice amp at home (apartment) as well as perhaps a bar venue say a 30' x 100' room that would deliver equal as good a stereo sound or am I likely looking at possibly having to buy 2 seperate amps?
    Just curious to hear some opinions from users please.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    My advice? Get two smaller tube amps and run either a stereo rig or a wet/dry setup.

Please go tube!

benjwri likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    They make a JC 40 that is very cool, i think @thunder58 has one. I have a Cube 60 chorus from the '80s that is supposedly half a JC 120, its a fantastic little amp but it don't sound like a 120. I use Roland SS amps all the time and they never disappoint me or make me wish i brought a tube amp (which i also own).

sh4rkbyt3 and thunder58 like this.
  4. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I guess it depends on the size of the speakers you want. A small amp say 14 x 14 could have two 8" speakers, but then, not much room for the 'guts'.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm very happy with my JC-40 . I'm actually going to a " Roland Night " at a local music store in my area , April 11th . I'm hoping to pick up 2 pedals to turn on/off the chorus / reverb to my liking . ( maybe I'll get a good deal , who knows ) I'm a play at home player and never gig out . Here's my story about why I got this and there's several reasons ......
    I live in a small house ( your in an apartment ) and in keeping peace with the wife ( maybe you have one of them too ) one of my main concerns was a head phone jack . The JC - 40 has that as I'm sure the others do . The only other JC series that I explored was the new JC-22 which also has a headphone jack ( maybe one will follow me home on April 11 ;) ) I had a Blackstar HT-5 mini stack and wanted something with a little more " kick " to it also . The JC-40 is compact in size as is the Blackstar HT-5 . I also keep mine off the floor on an amp stand . I've had it about 4 years now and purchased new ( $599 ) and very happy with it and not one problem . It also takes pedals very well . Plenty loud but like I said I'm in a small house .
    My suggestion is to go out and try one . Seems Sam Ash is a dealer and may have in stock , that's where I purchased mine . I've never seen Roland amps in Guitar Center although they may carry them as there a big Boss dealer . ( Roland / Boss are one in the same ) Also explore the Roland web sight and join there mailing list . If you know the quality of the Boss Pedals , you'll know the quality of Roland .... I always tell people , if your going to buy a green board amp , get a Roland , it's what they do

Attached Files:

Waxhead and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Of coarse the JC-22 is smaller in size then the JC-40
    JC-40 / 40 watts @ $ 599
    JC-22 / 30 watts @ $449
    ....... keep me posted :)

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Heres a better close up pic IMG_0309.JPG

Waxhead and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  8. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The JC 40 has a great rep. I've been wanting one and didn't move fast enough on a like new one on CL a few months back. They seem expensive for a SS amp though. Hold their value well too . Pretty heavy for their size, probably particle board or MDF cab.

Let's see.. in stereo amps.... there is the Fender Princeton Chorus SS amp. 2 x 10. Had one years ago, not bad really. Probably $150 and up used. 25 watts x 2 I believe.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3 and thunder58 like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Definitely MDF cab, Roland has used it for years.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I worked a lot of college and high school jazz bands over the years. Seems like every Roland MDF cab I saw was cracked. Electronics were fine, the amps sounded great, but the MDF was only held together by the angle iron frames. Being thrown around by kids into the back of trucks probably didn't allow for longevity. Hopefully you treat your amps better.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thought I told you a while ago to go get one ...... :D

sh4rkbyt3 and swivel like this.
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    We have a JC-40 up at the church. Cool amp. I walked in one day and my friend had his Tyler Strat cranked through it, and it sounded absolutely heavenly. Blew me away, really. Couldn’t believe how dead-on SRV he had that thing sounding. I’ve also heard some pretty bad tones through it. Same could be said for most amps though I guess.........all in all, I’d say the JC-40 is a good solid workhorse that would likely last you a lifetime with no issues. I’d gig one with no reservation.

hcsterg, Waxhead and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    And here you have it @sh4rkbyt3 , recommended by one of the best in the business ;)

hcsterg and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  14. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I have a Roland cube 40 and use it for recording in my little studio. I use a instrument mic plugged in to a audiobox usb. Works great for that. Not sure I would gig with it, only because nobody has ask me to. Roland makes some great amps.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    One more time I recommend buying a used Gallien Kruger 250ML.
    If you are lucky you can get one of these for less than USD 400.
    It is incredibly small and compact (in fact it is smaller than a shoe-box). You can use it at bedroom-level and on a big stage (with extension boxes).
    Exterior is made of steel. Indestructable and road-ready.
    Wonderful built-in chorus and a useable delay (both pre-set).
    The clean channel is very nice sounding and the lead-channel is pure 80ies in a good way.
    upload_2019-3-23_18-0-53.jpeg
    I use mine as a backup for my main rig and it saved my a** several times. I even used it many times in the studio for my leads.
    I liked it so much that I bought a 250RL which is the head version of the 250ML combo:

upload_2019-3-23_18-4-3.jpeg
    When I play with a more sofisticated lineup (especially with a keyborder) I combine this with a 2x12 Mesa stereo box or two Marshall 4x12 for the bigger venues. The result is a really "produced sounding" tone that fits snugly into any mix at any volume level (These amps are 2x50 watt!)

Did I mention that it goes really well with my 6119?

sh4rkbyt3, wabash slim and thunder58 like this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  17. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Anyone have any experience with the Blackstar ID Core 40 amps?

18. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    My JC 77 (2-10's) was a great small venue but would be too much in a standard home setup. And the chorus was top shelf.

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have an ID Core 10, it's a great little amp and gloriously stereo.

20. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you very much thunder58, that's the kind of advice and breakdown of sound I was curious about, and yes I am a huge Boss pedal fan as well. No wife, that ended a long time ago but neighbors yes, so the headphone jack would still be a plus. I just hate having more chords laying around but I'll manage it. I'll take you up on your advice and seek out a few Rolands to try but the JC40 is sonding like it's what I'm looking for. I'm using a Line 6 G10 wireless system which I love and definitely performs better than it's advertised also.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice