Rockabilly/Ratfink style

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So I have an idea for a new amp cab finish, Using tolex or paint I am unsure but the thought is to do a head cab with a rockabilly/ratfink theme. or just a solid 50's car hop or bowling alley theme. Kind of stuck. I get an idea then decide that long term it would not keep me happy. Any thoughts or idea are welcome. I am starting to lean towards a serious sparkle tolex and adding some metal piping in a pinstripe or flame design.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Black with Flames, tried and true. Or a nice cherry sparkle finish. Just don't make it too nickable!

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yea that's always a concern but I have some two-part epoxy clear I'm learning to use the stuff they use on bar tops, very durable and some of the dyes and sparkle you can add to it is incredible. I want this to tie in with my other thread about an amp stand. I haven't forgotten I just want a finished pretty pic to put up first then some process ones if people are interested. I'm waiting on the amp head to arrive so I can fit it properly. Oh so close now!

Yukimajo likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Zodiac or sparkle tolex is really difficult to lay down smoothly and is laborious! It would be much much easier to get a good smooth finish, seal coat in marine varnish and then red oxide primer, color sand smooth. then HOK satin black, pay for a great pinstripe job, buff random and edges through to raw wood, then satin clear. That my friend is rat rod. ..but sparkle is fun, and purty too.

Nocturne AC30 Sparkle 1.jpg Nocturne AC30 Sparkle 2.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice