Rockabilly Guitar Instruction in New York

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Emmett, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Emmett

Emmett Gretschie

Feb 25, 2013
    New York / Iowa
    I was wondering if any fellow GRETSCH fans might be able to recommend an individual or group in the vicinity of New York City that offers Rockabilly Guitar lessons one-on-one? This would be for a moderate level student who knows no music theory. Thanks!

2. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I can recommend a couple YouTube teachers if you can’t find what you’re looking for in NYC.

Look for Damian Bacci and/or Marty Schwartz (Marty Music). Both offer excellent rockabilly videos and dvds.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Look for the guitar sage on YouTube
    Great lesson on stray cat strut

5120mantis and Emmett like this.
  4. Emmett

Emmett Gretschie

Feb 25, 2013
    New York / Iowa
    Thanks for the input. I agree the above mentioned YouTube lessons are great but I was hoping for a recommendation that would lead to actual weekly in person lessons that teach the fundamentals of this style. I was actually surprised when I did a Google search for 'Rockabilly Guitar Instruction New York City' that not a whole lot came up. Guess I'll keep looking!

5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Rockabilly instructors can be a bit hard to come by. Randy Richter is another good one. He’s got YouTube, rockabilly courses at Udemy, a Patreon page, and I believe might offer a private lesson over the web. There are some potential for using a web cam with some instructors.

Emmett and 5120mantis like this.
  6. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    You might try Jason Loughlin on Truefire. I believe he gives 1 on 1 lessons via Skype as well as courses.

Emmett likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Try Rocky at StreetSounds in Brooklyn for teachers . 718 - 680 - 7946

Emmett likes this.
  8. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    In person lessons are a good way to get started, but I would think any skilled and experienced teacher could provide some specific tailoring to the Rockabilly style.

“Homespun Video” DVDs are also a good series. I just found a rockabilly set by Jim Weider in my library, he plays some demos with Levon Helm on drums. I found another one by Roger McGuinn demonstrating his 12 string techniques.

Emmett likes this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Paul Pigat did a great DVD, but I think it's out of print.

Emmett and GlenP like this.
  10. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I had an Arlen Roth 'Rockabilly Guitar' video tape back in the day. I was surprised to find that he had absolutely no real idea about the style. The gist of it was 'Play country licks over a blues beat or blues licks over a country beat and that's rockabilly.' Total waste of money.

For me the most useful thing learning resources were a book that covered a simplified version of CAGED and some of the Rockabilly courses on the Truefire site e.g. the Walter Broes 'Rock, Billy & Boogie' one. I think that's the course where Walter remarks that rockabilly styles aren't really about scales, more about chord shapes, arpeggios and double stops. Or words to that effect. That's exactly what I realised when working on the CAGED book - there were things that I'd heard Eddie Cochran do with partial chords. The 'D' shape up the neck and barred 'C' feature a lot more in my playing these days.

Emmett likes this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @TV the Wired Turtle recently posted on FB that Paul just started selling a digital download. But I’m not sure if it’s a limited time thing or permanent.

Emmett likes this.
  12. eggvan

eggvan Gretschie

Nov 30, 2013
    England
    Buy a program called Transcribe and slow down every song you love and learn them note for note. That in itself will teach you various techniques used by numerous guitarists.

Emmett likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Emmett likes this.
  14. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Plug for Damian Bacci (also lots of YouTube vids) https://damianbacci.com/home
    Richter, Twangy, Bacci, Guitar Sage, Justin Guitar,
    I personally do not value 1:1 in person, guess I don't like criticism....

Emmett and Merc like this.
  15. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Consider mytwangyguitar.com

Emmett and Sabato like this.
  16. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    You can slow down YouTube videos. I've been doing it lately. Also got a YouTube looper add-in for Chrome. So I play a YouTube song at 75% speed and loop the section I'm learning 10 times. It works really well.

17. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Richter is very knowledgeable and a good teacher, but I found the Udemy interface impossible.

Emmett likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve had no problems using my iPhone. But I usually just hit play and scrub back if I’m not getting a part.

Emmett likes this.
  19. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Mytwangyguitar.com is top notch. Maybe not for fingerpicking, where sheet music or tabs would help, but otherwise excellent. Most of all, Sam takes an instrument that is inherently awkward and shows how it can be played economically. I started with Jim Weider's videos. I learned a lot, and they were good at the time, but Mr. Weider works his muscles too hard.

Emmett and Merc like this.
  20. Emmett

Emmett Gretschie

Feb 25, 2013
    New York / Iowa
    Ive purchased Randy Richter's Country lesson and he does an amazing job although Udemy wouldn't be my first choice for taking lessons on line. Had to laugh at the comment about the Arlen Roth Rockabilly VHS as I had the same reaction to it many years ago when I first purchased it. Well meaning but - useless to me. I appreciate everyones help. Thanks!

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice