Join Gretsch-Talk Today

"Rock sound"

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jfletcher67, Jan 11, 2017.

1. jfletcher67

jfletcher67 Gretschie

Jul 25, 2012
    Birmingham, AL
    I was watching some G6119 videos earlier while not working at work, ya know, like ya do and I saw a response from one previous viewer of the vid from years earlier ask the poster "Can this guitar get a rock sound?"....I see this a lot in forums and on YouTube and it always confuses me. I've heard "rock sounds" all my life from all manner of guitars, pickups, etc. from Buddy Holly's Strat to ES 175's to pointy headstocked 80's guitars, to Les Pauls, Teles, Ricks, Parker Fly's and the list goes on.

What would you suppose most people mean when they say "rock sound"? I know it's nigh impossible to discern what most people mean on any given subject but if you had to guess....

2. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Most people would consider an aggressive, distorted sound as "Rock sound" - but there are lightyears between Link Wray and Van Halen. So what is it then?
    A "real" Rock sound should have a lot of mids in my opinion, while "Metal" sounds seem to be scooped there. And it is between light overdrive and aggressive distortion. But that again is only my opinion...

jfletcher67 and Marten Richens like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I suppose rock means with a certain amount of gain or "hair".

Floo and jfletcher67 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting