Join Gretsch-Talk Today

"Rock n' Roll" strings

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Les PaltaX, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Electromatic

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    Hi everyone! I don't know if this goes here, but I've been using 0.10 Ernie Ball strings all my life. Now that I'm getting a Gretsch with Bigbsy I'll probably change to 0.11.
    The thing is, I just found out that there are Ernie Ball strings called "Rock n' Roll", which, according to the saleswoman, "sound more '70s".

Anybody got experience with these strings? How do they sound with filtertrons? Are they better or worse than standard strings if I'm looking for a "Beatley" sound?

Thank you lots !!

2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    They are pure nickel and sound great with Filtertrons.

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've been using them on my Strat for many years.
    To me they are a little bit more mellow than the standard slinky strings that I use on my other guitars.
    I think they work well on Strats and sound more like the classic Strat sounds from the 60s & 70s.
    They do seem to wear out, go dead quicker than the Slinky strings but it's worth it for the sound.
    I haven't tried them on my Gretsch but I will say that when I play my Strat with those strings through the AC30 I can get the Nowhere Man sound dead on.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I always use D'Addario 115w . The "w" means that the 3rd string is wound . Gives me that little extra " twang " I like .

5. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Having strings that are called "rock 'n roll" is so not rock 'n roll.

benjwri and Les PaltaX like this.
  6. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Electromatic

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    True that hahaha

Thank you for the answers. I started looking out and found that this is a recurrent topic, so nickel strings have lots of lovers and haters, apparently.
    I'll eventually try them out.

Thank you!!

7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Nuthin wrong with them strings or their name;)

Mag3 likes this.
  8. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    The first set with a plain G string I ever saw was in 1965. They were called Fender Rock n Roll.

S Mac

9. Javier668

Javier668 Electromatic

Nov 9, 2017
    Chile
    Pyramid nickels classics;).

10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I've used these Ernie Ball, pure nickel rock'n roll strings (I believe that they have a hex core):

untitled.png untitled2.png

They're nice, but I prefer these because the wound strings have a round core and feel more flexible; they are also pure nickel:

untitled3.png untitled4.png

The Pyramid plain strings (G-B-E) are made of German steel with silver plating. To me, they sound better than the Swedish steel with tin plating that you will find with the Ernie Ball, DR, etc.