Join Gretsch-Talk Today

RJ Ronquillo demo's the Nocturne Dynobrain.

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I got to meet RJ at NAMM after talking a bit through instagram. He demo'd his Dynobrain for me.. so cool of him. I thought I'd share this, dont remember if I already did.. If I did slap me w a rubber wiffle bat I'm getting old. Anyway, its unconventional and tele centric. Which is a nice change up.

2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sounds good man.

3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I think y'all just sold me on a Brain.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    RJ is my favorite demo guy! Sounds awesome Tavo!!!

6. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    @larryb RJ is much more than a demo guy. More like pro sideman all over the world. Most known gig is Ricky Martin's guitarist.
    he's to the right of Ricky on this concert (short filipino w spiked hair)

Backing Stevie Wonder (to his left)

Backing Smokey Robinson

He also fronts his own band The Del Guapos, great singer too boot.

Henry and nickurso like this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I did know that Tavo; he is actually one of my favorite guitarists, and I think he has an amazing voice as well....but I love and appreciate all his demos and how he can make all those crappy Eastwoods sound spectacular
    :cool:

8. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    ah nuts.. I thought I was turnin ya on to some new musician. Well, I found this music today I didnt know existed and now I'm in love!! LOVE!! I like old Klezmer music, and I like Gypsy music. I freakin love Gypsy Jazz and Nuevo Flamenco.. Now I am goofin on this new stuff (to me) GYPSY KLEZMER and BALKAN Gypsy. The beautiful young lady is amazing and her whole being is a musical instrument. I can imagine seeing them live is like a religious experience. I'm borrowing from this for church, guaranteed! Such a celebration, uplifting and positive. (I'm bored to tears w Hillsong)

larryb likes this.
  9. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    If you need any infos on Gypsy Jazz music, guitar technique, rare recordings, sheets etc. send me a message. I played that music extensively for almost 10 years before moving to electric guitar.
    I have a lot of stuff about Waltz, Musette and old '30/40s music in general.

10. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    sounds really good with a tele!

11. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    RJ gets it just right. Plus it's SO rare to find demos by a guy who shares similar music tastes and doesn't play like he lives in the Guitar Centre. Tavo, it's a sign that your pedal is truly great that he wants to demo it....by playing some real music

12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Thanks brother, ya I've been into it for some time but I dont play it. I had a nice Dell Arte for a bit, moved to 2mm picks and all that but its an involved discipline that I dont have time for and I like my archtops better...I will just be a patron of that music style and borrow its feel and rhythm for my music :) btw..
    I grew up influenced by Django and Los Indios Tabajaras but ultimately appreciate Tchan Tchou Vidal more than Django's playing but Djangos maccaferri, stimer pickup and amp rule tone wise.

Django also gets credit for fiddlin w a gretsch even if he was disappointed in the states that no one presented him w a selmer and he had to work w uncomfortable archtops
    [​IMG]

ps.
    Angelo Debarre gets modern points (great performance here)

emicad likes this.
  13. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Damn.
    Now I need a Dynobrain with the knobs maxed.

14. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Great to see the the Dyno getting some attention from RJ. I had my moment of glory with him and the Link Wray guitar from Eastwood. Yeah, I know, but nobody else did it...and they did it well so I was happy

15. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    What happened to the "Brain" mega thread?