RIP Stephen Hillenberg

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 28, 2018.

1. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Yup. Not forgetting Dora the Explorer.

drmilktruck likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Teletubbies wasn't really a kids show, it was an infant show. Never watched it as we didn't let our kids do screens until 2 and 4 years old. As I joke, the first born gets attention, second born gets sugar and screen time.

MTurner likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's like baby books. The first one gets a detailed daily log, the second one gets, "David was born and graduated from college."

Henry likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yeah, we were really good about sugar and screens with Aria, our older kid. But then how do you let the older kid enjoy cake but not the younger one? So when Aria started watching TV at 4, so did Lukas. This was also when we had bought a house and were fixing it up while living in it, so them being absorbed for 22 minutes was a welcome breather.

And it is really scary how addictive and irresistible screens are. I don't watch sports, and even I am distracted when games are on in bars, etc.

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    30 years ago I had a co-worker who was the youngest of six. She swears that the earliest picture of her is her first grade school picture.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    SpongeBob is about as stupid as TV gets.

I love it. I watch with my grandsons. They were blown away that I knew the intro tune.

Any show with Clancy Brown in it can't be bad.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

Mr. Slim, I fear you are missing out on a whole mess of outrageously stupid TV. It's my favorite genre. The most lowbrow tends to be the most thought provoking.

drmilktruck and wabash slim like this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm well aware of the typical TV fodder. We got our first one in '52. Lucy was on the air---they used that thought in "Crocodile Dundee" decades ago. Lucy is still on today. I've worked in broadcast---PBS, and commercial radio. I do have an idea of what's out there. Most of what's on is drivel. Kardashians, game shows, (sur)reality shows, sports of all types, TV preachers, news. I'd rather watch old movies or Looney Tunes than most prime time programming.

I wasn't complaining about The Absorbent One. I was praising him. I find humor in it that the kids don't get. Rocky and Bullwinkle were like that as well. Writers of kids' shows have been putting in jokes for Mom and Dad forever.

Sid Nitzerglobin and drmilktruck like this.
  9. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Yep.

wabash slim likes this.
  10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    For me the earliest (and still champion) was Looney Toons....

MTurner and wabash slim like this.
  11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Black and white cartoons like Popeye, Max Fleisher's Betty Boop, Crusader Rabbit, and early Disney were the first ones I remember. Looney Toons are still the best in my book, too. Nothing can match the truly inspired lunacy of Daffy Duck.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I liked the Pink Panther cartoons a lot when I was a kid.

13. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At least I can get Futurama reruns!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    R.I.P. Its spongebob all day at my house.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Sorry to hear that the creator of Sponge Bob SquarePants has died. It was never my thing, but the grandkids that watched it were. So it will always be remembered with some good times.

RIP

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    RIP Sir.

I love the episodes with "The Flying Dutchman" in it voiced by Brian Doyle -Murray (Bill Murray's older brother).

drmilktruck likes this.