RIP Stephen Hillenberg

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 28, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Stephen Hillenberg, the marine biologist turned animator who created SpongeBob Squarepants, died yesterday of ALS at age 57.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...c-book-global-stardom/?utm_term=.f89530005357

The cartoon started when my son was little. From the beginning it has been funny for kids and adults. Still watch episodes together occasionally.

RIP.

Two of my favorite episodes:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    pmac11 likes this.
  2. Wow, didn’t know that. I like sponge bob. Watched most episodes when my kids were younger. It wad the only somewhat kids show trhaqt kept my attention on Nickelodeon. All the others, Dora, and bob the builder required medication that I didn’t have. I will still on occasion watch an episode for fun. The characters and what they do are well written for a cartoon. And at times pretty funny.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

I love Spongebob. My daughter never really took to it, but I have a nephew who was obsessed. In the mornings, we used to put Nickelodeon on in the background. If I came home for lunch and turned on the TV, I was always happy to find that Spongebob was on.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Never got the whole SpongeBob thing until recently. Now I really laugh when I watch it with my Grandson. Sad to hear it's creator passed away at such a young age.
    RIP Stephen Hillenberg.

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    yes. My 18 year old son woke me up last night and told. He had hidden his MS. Very talented gentleman. Spongebob was a fun cartoon I would watch with boys when they were kidlings. May He rest in Peace. Gone to soon.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    RIP, definitely a good continuation of the "fun for kids of all ages" show model.

Probably my fave is the one where the corporate chimp overlords come to review Sandy's R&D facility and go nuts for the automated tie tie-r/poop flinger device....

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yes , sad . Heard this today . R.I.P.

8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The most painful kids shows were Teletubbies and Caillou.

9. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    My daughter was most impressed when I plunked out the opening tune on guitar.
    RIP

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The guitarist who plays it is Gary Brandin of the Vanduras, Hula Girls nd other bands.

This one features a Gretsch briefly.

Tinman46 likes this.
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    RIP. I am a big fan. In 2001 when a bunch mo fmy friends were laid off in the dot com bust (I was in law school) we spent a lot of time making coffee and watching Spongebob and Law and Order.

And Patrick has the most impressive derriere in the cartoon biz.

[​IMG]

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Damn that's young...RIP

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Yes, and getting younger all the time! :(

15. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    R.I.P. Spent man,many hours watching Spongebob with my boys. I enjoyed it as much as them lol

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    RIP. My son introduced me to that show a few years back, I think it's brilliant.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I’ve enjoyed the episodes I’ve seen. It’s a rare combination of satire and a touch of slapstick. It’s absurd enough to not be bound by reality, yet there’s a humanity to it, even though the characters aren’t portrayed as being human.

I once saw Tom Kinney, the voice of Spongebob, at a Deke Dickerson Guitar Geek Festival. It was quite a treat.

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. DennisC

DennisC Electromatic

May 11, 2017
    Hannover - Germany
    Oh, that's sad. I really liked Rocko's Modern Life, the Hillenburg-Episodes even more than the rest (as far as I know he wasn't involved in everyone - but whenever a disgusting close-up of something weird appears, it's almost certain he's guilty of it). Never got into spongebob that much (the bird brains is what I consider the show's most memorable moment…).

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. The teletubbies were the most surreal show ever. It was almost like you were on some sort of medication as you watched it. Hard to explain unless you have seen a number of episodes. The highlight was tubby toast. They would get so excited over tubby Toast, just like dead heads got excited after a night of partying for something like tubby toast.

drmilktruck and pmac11 like this.