Join Gretsch-Talk Today

RIP R. Lee Ermey

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Apr 16, 2018.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    He was awesome in Full Metal Jacket and later on got a job promoting Victory motorcycles of all things.

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  2. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    He was great in Full Metal Jacket, but my favorite moment of his was in Dead Man Walking as the father of the murdered girl.

One thing for sure, when he was in a scene, he was the thing you were looking at.

R.I.P. Gunny.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. kjmac

kjmac Electromatic

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I had a chance to meet him at the 2014 NRA convention. He did a lot to support the second amendment and wrote hundreds of articles about firearms use and safety.

4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    He was too young!

I always liked him. All my Marine buddies told me that he channelled a drill sergeant perfectly in Full Metal Jacket. Which of course he was at one time, but his ability to portray it on screen was remarkable. I still go back and watch the opening scene from time to time. Brilliant. I think Marine drill instructors are the most linguistically creative people on the planet.

"You are the lowest form of life on the planet..."

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I was coming back from California on a Southwest flight a number of years back, and when I sat down I realized that I was sitting next to R. Lee Ermey. I had recently seen him in his TV show, "Mail Call," so it was kind of a thrill. He wasn't particularly talkative, so we didn't talk long, but since my son had just started Marine Corp. boot camp, we did have a short conversation. I thought he was a straight forward, and very nice man.

RIP R. Lee Ermey.

stevo, mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  6. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
  7. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    A sad loss. RIP Sir !!

8. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    R.I.P. Gunny. MARINES all over the World are gonna have a drink in Your Honor.

Semper Fi and OORAAH!

9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The coach in saving Silverman:D
    R.I.P.

10. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    That may be so, but I am sure no Marine D.I. really ever said the words below. These words are that of a wickedly funny screenwriter...but as said by R. Lee Ermey, they are as disturbingly funny a set of words I have ever heard in a movie:

"Charles Whitman killed twelve people from a twenty-eight-story observation tower at the University of Texas from distances up to four hundred yards.
    Oswald was two hundred and fifty feet away and shooting at a moving target. He got off three rounds with an old Italian bolt action rifle in only six seconds and scored two hits, including a head shot!
    Those individuals showed what one motivated marine and his rifle can do!"

Oh, man, that's so wrong...but soooo damn funny.

[​IMG]

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Over 60 movies to his credit. 11 years in the Corps. Wide array of movies from FMJ to the Teddy Roosevelt biopic to Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Firebase Gloria. The world will be a sadder place without the Gunny.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  12. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.

I beg to differ, No Screen writer could come up with the authentic Cr*p the Gunny Spewed.I heard many Drill Instructors come up with some memorable "lines during My time in Boot Camp. "The Gunny's " representation of "Marine Speak" was pretty accurate from the stuff I heard while I was in The Suck..

Director Stanley Kubrick had nothing but praise for R. Lee Ermey's skills as a performer. Kubrick originally was going to write dialogue for Ermey's character himself, but he became so impressed with what Ermey improvised, he decided it was not necessary. He simply let him ad-lib, an act practically unheard of for a Stanley Kubrick film. Ermey's performances were so faultless that Kubrick only needed two to three takes to get his scenes filmed, which was also extremely rare for a Kubrick film. The only instance Ermey had to film more than two to three takes was in the "Jelly Doughnut Scene," which he claimed was filmed in 37 takes, to the point his voice kept disappearing from time to time.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/trivia

ALSO,
    To begin with, Ermey was set to only be an advisor on “Full Metal Jacket,” but filmed his own audition tape, improvising insults while being pelted with oranges and tennis balls. His unfazed fury convinced Kubrick that he had the right man, and the rest was history. Ermey was allowed to improvise his profane insults (having to explain to the director what a ‘reach-around’ was at one point), with as much of 50% of the actor’s dialogue being ad-libbed, which was quite unusual for the meticulous Kubrick.

http://www.indiewire.com/2012/08/5-...ut-stanley-kubricks-full-metal-jacket-107476/

DavidLee likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I wouldn't know, but Ermy was a DI and probably used some of his on stuff and stuff from his basic training days. I don't know if the screen writer would know what to say either.

That tower shooting would have been very recent plot-wise. The movie was portrayed around the battle of Hue which was in '68, the tower shooting was '66.

I was never a Marine, but my marine buddies all confirm that he's a perfect portrayal. Some of the slogans and certainly his swagger is accurate they tell me. And they tell me you can never laugh no matter how utterly hilarious he is. Unless you want to be harassed mercilessly.

Hydroman likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The I am not a racist, "you are all equally worthless" is one of my favorite lines ever. RIP

Dreamtime, thunder58 and Hydroman like this.
  15. DavidLee

DavidLee Synchromatic

Oct 11, 2014
    Des Moines
    R.I.P. Gunny. I loved this guy in Full Metal Jacket. My Dad, who was a Marine in WWII & Korea, (now deceased) laughed his a** off when he saw that movie. He said Gunny reminded him of his DI when he took boot at Paris Island. Grunts = tough guys.

Hydroman likes this.
  16. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    After seeing him in Full Metal Jacket, I really got a kick out of this.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I knew Lee and he was a really good man. Last time I saw him he was shivering in a winter parka and called me a "F***ing Canadian." Then we both laughed. He will be missed by a lot of people. RIP Lee.

18. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny