Join Gretsch-Talk Today

RIP Nokie Edwards, one of the greatest

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Mar 12, 2018.

1. tlsmith

tlsmith Electromatic

Mar 19, 2010
    indiana
    The Ventures were my favorite band in the 60's while I was growing up. I loved Nokies playing and he was an inspiration to me. I guess Don Wilson is the only original Venture left. So sad. RIP Nokie, loved your work.

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Loved ya big Nokie. Rest in peace.

3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

It's just sad to think that so many people that have been inspirational to my own walk on the earth are passing away. It's not quite that same as when you lose a parent, but it's a feeling that's not really far from it, because these are people that shaped your life. RIP Nokie.

Edit: I had to add a video of the song that introduced me to the Ventures:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    My ultimate Ventures albums is TELSTAR. I remember my mom taking me outside to look up in the night sky at pointing at the moon telling me that Astronauts landed on it. I never believed her, and I still dont ahahhhhh!! We'll see what this Tesla kid does, I'm impressed.

Robbie likes this.
  5. ivar83

ivar83 Electromatic

Jan 5, 2018
    Gothenburg
    Nice player.
    Was listening to this when i only was a few years old, still love it!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    OK. Now God wants to learn to play Surf Music...

The Ventures : a great band, indeed... With numerous crazy tunes. In my band, we occasionally play "Hawaï-5-0" and "The 2000 Pound Bee part.1" on stage - sorry, no recorded performance unfortunately.

My favourite 60's instrumental band !

A+!

7. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Sad to hear of Nokie's passing. I recently met JD Hoag here in Mesa Arizona who played with Nokie in the Ventures many years ago.

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    My father was in his late thirties when I was born, and his tastes in music reflected the world he was born into, over 100 years ago. He had little use for “teen-age music”, which is how he described Rock n’ Roll, but my sister’s copy of The Ventures Play Telstar was a point of armistice. He loved The Ventures And Chet; if he hadn’t, I probably would have grown up playing Stride Piano, like Frankie Carle.

My tastes in music still reflect many of my father’s tastes. I grew up listening to The Boston Pops playing the music of Leroy Anderson, the Mulcays (amazing harmonica duo), all sorts of Big Band music, The Ventures, Chet Atkins, and my sister’s Rock n’ Roll from the late ‘50 and early ‘60s. It was an auspicious combination, for I grew up hearing Duane Eddy as his songs were being released, I heard Doo Wop and Twist music, then The Beach Boys and Surf Music, all in real time. She moved away from home shortly after the Beatles arrived in the US.

But the Ventures lived on, even after my sister moved out, because my Father liked them and because Harley Flathers, local radio announcer, had eclectic tastes and played The Ventures on his morning radio show. I also heard Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 on his show, plus all sorts of Beatles songs and some Chet.

When I first learned to play, guitar students were routinely taught Ventures songs, so I was playing Pipeline and Walk, Don’t Run by 1967. I wasn’t necessarily playing these songs well, but I was playing them, and I still do.

9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    For some of our Shows I'll open with Walk Don't Run and take it straight into Peter Gunn and the audience is almost always on their feet. Play Walk Don't Run and before you reach mid point in the song you'll have figured out exactly how many guitar players are in the audience.

audept and Willie D like this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    We fight what our parents do and are when we are young, only to appreciate it when we are older. I wish I'd payed more attention to his wanting to teach me Chet's picking when I was younger. I didnt care, I wanted to play like Randy Rhoads, Angus, Page and Brian Setzer.. When I finally got serious about travis picking it was too late. I spent four yrs learning the basics and couldnt use, cant use a thumbpick to save my life. So I suss it out w the nashville claw like Rev Horton now days.

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Yep, I resisted a fair amount of good parental advice in my day and am thankful for the advice I did take.

Have you ever tried a Fred Kelly Slick Pik? It's a thumbtack that feels much different from the average thumbpick and lends itself to being grasp like a flatpick, when the occasion warrants that.

12. afire

afire Country Gent

Music seems to skip a generation in my family. My dad was born in 1943, but the music he really liked was ragtime and big band from before he was born. I was born in 1975, and loved the music of the '50s and '60s. I'm guessing at some point my daughter will develop a passion for '80s New Wave and '90s grunge.

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That's not such a bad trait.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    always catches on the upstroke or return to position and spins plus clanks. I started playing w 1.5mm acrylic picks by gravity and love them. Even the 2mm are nice on acoustic. I have far passed the time of thin .60mm rakey picks on guitar strings.