RIP Neil Simon

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Aug 26, 2018.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Great playwright. Died at 91. RIP.

Felix and Oscar.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    He was a striking talent. I saw The Odd Couple when it was a first run movie and loved it. He goes much further back, however, working on Sid Caesar’s Show of Shows, which was an incredible source of comedic talent; Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Imogene Coca, and, of course, the incredible Sid Caesar. What an incubator for talent!

But beyond that, Neil Simon had the ability to write directly to the common traits of humans. We all have met Oscar Madison and Felix Ungar. We’ve all known Eugene Morris Jerome and have met someone as intimidating as Sgt Toomy, from Biloxi Blues. Ever see Lost in Yonkers? Those kids were precious!

I think that was really the secret of Neil Simon, his plays had characters we could relate to. He had characters that were believable and only slightly exaggerated from how we perceive ourselves. Everyone has met Neil Simon’s characters and felt the feelings they express in their lines. Neil Simon was self-indulgent to the highest degree possible, he wrote himself into many of his plays, but we never minded, because we always enjoyed his company and were happy to see him one more time.

Thanks for the memories.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Wow, Can't believe Neil Simon...... gone. What a great human being and writer. RIP. Neil.

5. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Nora saw me on the crapper!

benjwri and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I don’t think I ever saw it, but the trailer did the trick.

7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

It's a must see, Mark.

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Too many icons of my time suddenly passing. RIP Mr. Simon.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    'It took me fiv notes to realise FU stood for Felix unger'.

Sharp, witty, clever, brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

section2 likes this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I’ll put it on the list.

For me, that was the standout line of the movie. I never thought that the TV show even came close to the humore of the movie.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  12. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    One of my favorites...RIP

13. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Very sad news...RIP Mr. Simon!

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    And see it, I did. I had seen part of it, some time ago, but not enough to get the full effect. It’s really a great story about a typical kid, 15 or so, and how he experienced life, for the good and for the bad. When his older brother suggested that he might end up in a “sex asylum” I about fell off my chair laughing, but I remember being that age and a one track mind came with the territory.

It’s funny, because his brother nearly leaving made Eugene face the fact that he was no longer a completely carefree child. I faced a sobering experience at that same age and it, likewise, had a lasting effect. Really, the various story lines in the movie all came together in an interesting way. There was a sense of redemption at the end; the widowed aunt moving on with her life, Eugene maturing in his attitude, the father setting an example in love and forgiveness and even the mother lightening up a bit. Good stuff, but what else would one expect from Neil Simon.

dafreeze likes this.
  15. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

:)

Great review of a great story but spoiler alert...”Nora saw me on the crapper!”

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Any young man’s worst nightmare. :)

dafreeze likes this.