RIP Cavan Grogan

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dankas11, Feb 16, 2020.

1. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    Singer of Crazy Cavan died today. I liked that crazy guy.

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  3. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
  4. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Rest In Peace Cavan. I kept my own memorial yesterday evening and listened through the first four records from my LP collection and let the neighbours hear the first three as well...

I guess the band was not so widely known outside Europe, but had many devoted fans over here.

86494944_2743309255785428_6924731902544838656_n.jpg

86715106_2743309372452083_3909403993029214208_n.jpg

5. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    hahaha I have those records too. They were very popular among Croatian rockabilly comunity. I was lucky to be on their concert in Zagreb in 1988. They put a great show.

JHowdy likes this.
  6. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Such a shame. I had the please of supporting Cavan in November - a night we'll never forget. Another legend of the U.K scene gone...

dankas11 likes this.
  7. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Didnt knownof him until this weekend when a feirnd tagged me on facebook, soory to see him go, eapecially after enjoying the video my friend showed me.
    Facebook is stiil useful for aomething.
    Definetly going to check more of his stuff out.
    R.i.p.

8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    No way...
    He's been one of the most revered Brits in my homeland, especially where I grew up. He was more appreciated than Elvis, not kidding.
    Sorry for that. I saw the band play at a Festival in Italy in the late 80s.... they were great, but I was deep into Stray Cats and modern rockabilly at the timw and that music seemed my mom&dad's music.
    I was wrong. RIP.

Mellowcat, JHowdy and Rusty Silver like this.
  9. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

One of the first rockin records I've listened, during my teen years, immediately after a lot of 50's stuff and Stray Cats. There I realized there was a great Teddy boy scene apart from the neo Rockabilly movement. But, at the end, Crazy Cavan was simply a great artist and a true Rocker.

10. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    You know, when I was a Rocker over here in Italy Teds were all thinking that Strat Cats were fakes, and that Crazy Cavan was god.
    I though that hearing somebody soloing like old Chuck Berry and not like Setzer was, you know... too old.:)
    I wish I would have been wiser then, I’m sure I’d be a better guitar player now.;)

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Sad news,RIP Sir.

12. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I saw them in 1989 and in 2006. Both shows were good I think, I just don't remember the first one at all. But I was there for sure :D. They have visited Finland regularly, the last time was in December 2019 (three months ago, that is), but I was flat broke and couldn't go to see them. What a pity.

Cavan and his band were one of the best and they had an original style of their own. On my rockabilly/rock'n'roll list Elvis comes somewhere around the tenth place, which is also pretty good I guess:rolleyes:.

Mellowcat, dankas11 and stiv like this.
  13. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

It's only this evening I can find time to listen again to my "Still Crazy" 10" mini-LP, French release out of the Mr. Cool LP:

CrazyCavan-1980-25cm-StillCrazy600.jpg

A real cool record.
    Rest In Peace.

rob batz likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Never really a fan of Teds but because of them, Stray Cats found a style. So they get props including Crazy Cavan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice