Riff City going away even online?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by T Bone, Jul 13, 2019.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

So, I'd heard they were closing retail stores, no great surprise there. But reading an email I got from them recently, it appears they are getting completely out of the music gear business altogether. Unless I misread the letter in their website... sad really, but I only bought one guitar from them. Was a cool special edition Pro Jet in Surf Green (Bigsby and case bought elsewhere). 20180609_171909.jpg One can never have too many green Gretsches!

section2, blueruins and Merc like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Too bad but understandable at the same time. My guess today there are less people playing instruments than their used to be even though it’s still a large group of us. Add together the online competitiveness and it’s a tough industry profit wise for a traditional retail store. We had a local store Tringas that closed down after 30 years. Now the owner is only doing repair service out of his home. Sadly I suspect more will fall victim over the next decade to the point that mom and pop stores will be rare and most purchasing completed online.

Getting back to Riff City. I’d say this paragraph from the letter summarized it.

“So, it is also “business” that brings us to our decision to move out of the musical instrument retail sector. Simply put, we no longer see an opportunity to add enough unique value to the industry to support the margins required to offer the service levels and product selection already available by other, incredible and more established retailers in the industry.”

The letter in full for anyone interested. https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com/pages/a-letter-about-our-closing

Sweet Riff City guitar btw. I dig the added Bigs too.

T Bone likes this.
  3. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Same here in the Mississippi. My local guitar store has cut down on inventory, does only small repairs and he is giving guitar lessons. Says that is the only way he can stay in the Biz. No high end stuff in his shop. Now I have to drive 100 miles to Jackson. Ms. (GC) just to try out a nice guitar, amp or other things.

T Bone likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well I'm glad Riff could make a choice about investment and opportunity rather than zombie walking into oblivion.

T Bone likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    They had good stuff at good prices. Most was lower priced smaller margin products. I suspect the failure of the New Hope store may have brought down the whole company. The main store is in a small town which doesn’t have much business, so I think their margin for error was small for the online business. Plus they didn’t offer lessons or repairs. As others have said, better to wrap it up on your own terms without having to slowly die in a tsunami of debt.

T Bone likes this.
  6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    What????? Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

T Bone likes this.
  7. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    T Bone likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    New hope and Sioux Falls where they bought out Sioux Falls Music, which was hit hard years ago when GC opened in town. They just up and left Sioux Falls after around a year here. But they also had terrible inventory tracking. I tried with them several times to get products that I was told they had and would ship from another store just to sit and wait for months and find it never shipped or they really didn't have it. I gave up on them. To bad for the employees here because they tried so hard to make it work. Not much you can do when you can only sell what you have on hand. After seeing how they handled their business I am surprised they made it this long.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    T Bone likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Beautiful guitar

T Bone likes this.
  10. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I had nothing but great experiences at Riff City. I think their expansions and stuff probably stretched them too thin. Plus... the whole Chapman situation probably hurt them, too. A majority of my current guitar collection is thanks to their former New Hope location. I’ll miss them and have many great memories of visiting and attending events there.

Attached Files:

thunder58 and T Bone like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice