Rickenbacker Toaster Pickups VS Filtertrons VS Hi LO Trons

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Gretschtim1, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'm starting to wonder if the magnets in my T-Armonds are just too strong. The polls are either even or below the top of the pickup and if I try to adjust the pickup body to TV Jones recommendation the string pull is super severe. I can see the beating on my strobe tuner, I can hear the string rattle
    and the out of tune sound. All these symptoms go away when I lower the pickups but the high end goes away and all the balls does too. I'm using 10s nickel wound like you. I'm going to try more adjustments after I talk with TV Jones. I've been happy with all my other TV Jones pickups. I've been very busy recording and have just pushed the Jet to the side and used my Telly or Gent instead. I really haven't had much time to play with it. I bought these pickups two years ago and just haven't used the guitar much. I thought of the toaster pickups because I've been throwing around the idea of buying a rick 330 6 string (I have the 12 string and love the sound). Maybe it would be worth trying them in the Jet.

2. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Really? Hi-Gains are ceramic. Would expect them to be different.

3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, they all sound different.

4. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Can't imagine a Ric Hi-Gain sounding anything like a P90.

Anyway, a ceramic is, by nature, a different sounding beast from anything with alnico in it. That's all I meant to say.

5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    No it's just a volume & tone pot, selector switch and the cap that came with the guitar (can't see a value on it).

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Wow I talked with Tom over at TV Jones - what a great guy! He gave me some adjustments to try with the T-Armonds. He said if after doing the adjustments if it still doesn't work out he'll do an exchange. He is a class act. I love his pickups that are in my other guitars. He mentioned that the T-Armonds are a different animal than his other Gretsch style pickups and that they just might not be for me. You can't beat that kind of customer relations - I'm actually floor by it.

JC higgy, Henry, BorderRadio and 3 others like this.
  7. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    That's awesome! I just got a Tarmond English mount for the neck position on my jet, my plan is to leave the filtertron in the bridge position. Hope this is a good marriage, ha!

8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Thought I'd report back about my jet with T-armonds.
    After talking with Tom & Sean at TV Jones and realizing all the suggested adjustments were already done I decided to dig deeper into the guitar wiring.
    Everything was right but I noticed that the tone pot cap was an .047uf and not the suggested .022uf. The .047uf came with the guitar along with the black top pickups. Not only was it a .047uf but it was way off measuring more like around 57uf. This explains why the tone always sounded muddy to me. I clipped it out of the circuit and bingo the tone got way better. I actually liked the tone with no cap at all. I wound up putting a .01uf in there. I will be keeping these pickups...:D.
    They now sound like the demos I heard. They sound great through a cranked Vox ac15 and Marshall Jubilee.
    Nice and biting but full through a fender Deluxe.
    It's hard to believe that a cap could alter the tone that drastically.
    I mean the tone was so dull and lifeless and now it's full with plenty of bite.
    As long as I've been playing I have never paid any attention to the caps. I changed pots plenty of times when they wore out but always reused the caps.
    Now I'm starting to wonder if my Telly or Strat would sound better with a cap change. After all caps are cheap enough to change out and hear for myself.
    Thanks to Tom and Sean over at TV Jones for helping me through this.
    What a relief!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    blueruins and new6659 like this.
  9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That’s great news! This thread has helped me make up my mind to get these also.
    The other thread linked in here mentioned the overpowering Low E that I’ve heard in all the demo videos of T-Armonds. That was my only reservation because the tone is just glorious.
    Between your glowing review of the pickups and customer service and seeing daveb’s (i think) recorded evidence of the Low E phenom and it’s resolution the matter is settled.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!!

Gretschtim1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice