Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Ric 325-ish build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by englishman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Might as well post this one too even though i think you guys get bored with these build threads.

Got a note from a longtime friend that he wanted a guitar built by me. He had no real direction other than it had to be super light as he has back problems (he's also retired) and it had to be smaller scale because of the size of his arms and hands.

He is a Beatles fan, so I suggested something along the lines of John's 58 Ric 325 which came from the factory with a 21" scale length. He thought this was a great idea but he is still waffling about certain aspects, like two or three pickups (I guess John Lennon disconnected the middle one anyway).

For lightweight guitars, you can't beat paulownia. However, it's difficult to find in the USA for some reason. There's a bunch of the Chinese kits utilizing it, just very few outlets here willing to sell blank-sized chunks. I finally found someone on one of the FaceBook luthier groups (facebook is handy sometimes) who had a source that wasn't advertised local to him. He offered to go get some and glue it to guitar sized blanks for me. I bought two off him.

One of the aspects of this build is that the semi-hollowness changes. This means he wanted a soundhole like the bigger Rics have.. but then changed his mind.. and then..

So I'm resolved to putting something like a maple top on this, I'll need to hide the neck tenon anyway.

There was a guy that had done a few 325 builds on one of the guitar forums (found through google) but when I contacted him he was very unhelpful, claiming to have nothing to do with them any more. I'm thinking since it showed up on google for me, it did the same for John Hall. It was pretty hard to find a drawing of the body.
    I finally found this one.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.23.51 AM.png

I found spec and the body is 12 1/2" wide, so I sized it in photoshop, saved it as a PDF and then poster-printed it so I could cut it out and tape it together. Only four sheets of paper for this one.

1.jpg
    Then I tape it to the wood and use a magic marker for the outline. Not very arty but when I'm bandsawing, if I see black I know I'm OK.
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

This stuff is a breeze to cut out.

4.jpg
    5.jpg

I guess you can tell it's a fast growing tree yeah?

6.jpg

I've got the neck blank ordered. I already had a Stew-Mac 24.6 slotted board laying around. They come with 24 fret slots. I cut off the top three, leaving 21 frets and giving me a scale length of around 20.8 which I think will be close enough.
    7.jpg

Still haven't picked out a top wood yet.

2. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Please don't stop posting your build threads. They are some of the most interesting threads on this forum.

wabash slim, ffooky, Zeek and 9 others like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Another highlight-thread!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I may not always comment, but I follow all your build threads, reference them when I do my own builds and find inspiration.
    Not bored here.

englishman likes this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Agreed

englishman likes this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Agreed. Love them. They're inspiring. Hopefully when we get settled into our new house (with room for a real workshop), I can follow a bit in your footsteps.

englishman likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool,love your build threads sir,keep'em coming!

I had a Rick 325V59 ,they're little buggers to play but cool for strumming,i miss mine,sometimes!

englishman likes this.
  9. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    This will be a ice one. Keep them coming!

englishman likes this.
  10. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    David, I never get bored with your build threads. Judging by some of the other replies I can guarantee you an audience of more than one!

englishman likes this.
  11. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Thanks guys, I wasn't fishing for compliments but it's good to hear it keeps you amused :)

12. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Always great work Eman

englishman likes this.
  13. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Ah, no.

14. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yes, this.
    We love build threads!

15. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Agreed. Please keep em coming!

16. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Some progress today

I think it would look cool with the three pickups but that's not what he wants.
    IMG_8232.JPG

Did the rough neck shape and used the offcut to glue ears on the headstock after routing for the trussrod.

IMG_8228.JPG IMG_8231.JPG

Got the fingerboard cut down, added the dots and frets and glued it on
    IMG_8235.JPG IMG_8233.JPG IMG_8230.JPG

Gluing up some maple for the top too

IMG_8238.JPG

Attached Files:

Tinman46 likes this.
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    If your customer is pursuing John Lennon's sound, I've read that John disconnected his middle pickup, and used the neck and bridge combined, to get the "in-between" sound.

18. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Oh yeah, I was just looking at the aesthetic.

19. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Genuine Ric toasters? They look the deal.
    Top looks like it's got some nice flame too.

20. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Heck no. $52 a pair from China. Ric pickups are stupidly overpriced.

21. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    I wondered, most genuine ones run $160 a piece, but most of the copies I've seen don't quite look the part.