Rewiring 5420

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by claypainter, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...you need to remove the neck pickup, at least that‘s what I‘ve done. Swapping the complete harness is a different story and not necessary if you’re lucky to play a 2016 or younger 54. Make sure you‘ve got some tube or wire to fiddle the switch back in place. And you need a tool to remove the nut of the switch ;-)

claypainter likes this.
  2. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Well...
    I couldn't resist. I decided to order new pots and switch and output jack and replace the whole deal...
    Parts will show up this week and I'll do the swap next week.

I'll let you know if disaster strikes.

Wjensen, section2 and Merc like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes removing the pickups is the easiest way to access. It's what I do too.

A+!

Outlaw likes this.
  4. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Thanks, everyone, for their input.

I finally got the job done. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the TV Jones premade harness. It was a pain to make myself but I learned some things too.

New switch, new pots, and I decided to install TV Jones pickups too (classic in the neck & classic + in the bridge).

Yukimajo and calebaaron666 like this.
  5. Outlaw

Outlaw Gretschie

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Don't know if it's been mentioned before but use Belden shielded cable, it's very good and cheap enough on eBay.
    Some great tips from other posters.
    Good luck.

6. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I used light grade fishing line to thread the pots back to the holes for years. One day i had to do some quick work and couldn’t find my fishing line so I used a drinking straw. Worked like a dream! Now I use electrical shrink tubing. Get it at harbor freight for a buck fifty. It’s a little more grippy and works great!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  7. On my 2017 5420 the standard pots all rolled off too quickly. I replaced all of them with LH log pots wired as the RH ones were and it reversed the action. Now the roll off from full open is much more progressive. Better IMO. Also fitted a curved square Les Paul type jack plate.

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Tokairic !
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice